Is Tera worth starting for a new player?

• Hi Guys!
    I am interested in playing Tera, I have been playing a different MMORPG from Gameforge for a long time (Metin2) and am looking for something else. I have some questions about Tera.

• How Pay2win is it? Metin2 is insanely pay2win and it ruins a lot of the fun for me.
    • How is the playerbase? Are there enough players on all servers?
    • Are some classes signifcantly stronger than others in either PvM or PvP? Is the balance okay?\
    • Are there things like raids/dungeons to do in a group for all levels?
    • Any recommendations for a new player when it comes to server to start / class to play

Thanks in advance!
    Kind regards :)

• 1. Basically, to clear all dungeons and have fun on the game, it is not p2w(but you have to grind alot), but if you want max gear, highest dps possible and make it competitive, it is p2w
    2. Playerbase is fine, just pick yurian(ger) or mystel(eng), don't go on killian(empty)
    3. forget pvp, its basically unbalanced in every way, pvm its actually quite balanced now, sure some classes are a tiny bit stronger, but you can clear every dungeon with almost every setup
    4. dungeons start at lvl 20, they give the most exp, but since tera actually start at lvl 65, the lvling is kinda solo content, maybe you are lucky to find a dungeon trough dungeonfinder, but it can take a while (but at least you search over all server)
    5. Play anything you enjoy. if you want to heal, then go healer (priest or mystic), if you want to tank every bosses and feel like you are unkillable, play tank (pick lancer, brawler is fine, but you hardly will find engame content with brawler, lancer is the way to go sadly), if you want to deal much damage, pick any class you might enjoy. every dps is playable, but almost any is hard to master)

• In addition to what Tomo said, just check the english forums. Literally full of whining and complaining about player numbers, about the pay2win enchanting, etc.
    1. Compared the Metin, the pay2win is different, but it is there if you want to climb to the top.
    2. depends on time and server, don't join Killian, Mystel should work out for you
    3. Everything is fine for now, the classes have never been closer to a balance in years
    5. Pick what you like, everything is always in demand on a high skill level, below that you can still play any class and find groups.

• Hi Guys!
    I am interested in playing Tera, I have been playing a different MMORPG from Gameforge for a long time (Metin2) and am looking for something else. I have some questions about Tera.

• How Pay2win is it? Metin2 is insanely pay2win and it ruins a lot of the fun for me.
    • Are some classes signifcantly stronger than others in either PvM or PvP? Is the balance okay?\
    • Any recommendations for a new player when it comes to server to start / class to play

Thanks in advance!

1. If you enjoy the game you should not have problems to grind and be competitive in dungeons and guardians as long as you keep enchanting/upgrading your equipment. Now, to reach stormcry+ gear you will need to GRIND a lot. Just a heads up. High top level dungeons will require at least that, so you will be locked from em until you get it, but again if you like the game you should not be worrying about grinding. p2w i dont know exactly what you mean, there is always a way to get that item or the other, and like other mmorpgs, i would not call it p2w but pay to have things faster.

2. There is only one server you should be worried about, Mystel. And yes there are a lot of players.

3. As others said, the balance is pretty ok more or less, now in pvp, things change a bit, but again, i would not recommend you to do pvp, unfortunately it works really badly and its not really beautiful to the eye lol.

4. As you level up you will find some dungeons to do in groups (but they are basically passing by dungeons, one or two you will need to do to advance in the level up courve). Once you reach end level, the game is basically dungeons, so.. yes.

5. Mystel. And as others said, chose the class you like the most. Except priest and mystic, if you dont like being a healer (unlike other mmorpgs, healers in Tera are pretty focused in just that, they have fairly less attack abilities and once in end-level you will need to learn how to use em to Heal other players so its a completely different style of combat).

And, for a new player i would say its worthy to at least try. The game have pretty beautiful graphics and you will enjoy that among other things, like the combat system. More than in other mmorpgs.

• Hi Guys!

Thanks in advance!

1. its pay2progress faster, cash shop prices are insane (Black Desert pricing) compared to NA EN Masse.
    2. Mystel is the only one with a good population and even with that not enough players the game basically dying.
    3. In Pve the balance is somewhat okay, Pvp is fine just learn the other classes then you can beat them.
    4. The most active dungeons are at end game, new players arent having any luck here, but you can do battlegrounds which gives you a good amount of exp, Kuma is usually the one to go with.
    5. No Gameforge, EN Masse and the developer Bluehole need to step up, its 2019 almost and you ******* need a new business model because the one you using now aren't working.

• Its amazing why people would say this game is dying... amazing.

Guys do you actually play? or you just say that because you are just tired of playing it? lol.

• 1. its pay2progress faster, cash shop prices are insane (Black Desert pricing) compared to NA EN Masse.

And if you don't do it you will never catch up. That's the point. By the time he reach our current HO +3 there will be already +6 if not +9 and if he reach this point we alreay will have complete new game. And yes Gear is important otherwise you can't enjoy 100% of the content because A: You are too weak and B: You will get no rewards form VG and sacrficing VG quest s stupid asf since dungeons provides no rewards at all

Even as a long time player (since 6 years) i'm not even full +1 and new content is already comming to Korea which mean around march in EU.

There is only one possible way to catch up without paying. He needs to enchant everything with just ONE attempt and this will never happen.

• And if you don't do it you will never catch up. That's the point. By the time he reach our current HO +3 there will be already +6 if not +9 and if he reach this point we alreay will have complete new game. And yes Gear is important otherwise you can't enjoy 100% of the content because A: You are too weak and B: You will get no rewards form VG and sacrficing VG quest s stupid asf since dungeons provides no rewards at all
    Even as a long time player (since 6 years) i'm not even full +1 and new content is already comming to Korea which mean around march in EU.

There is only one possible way to catch up without paying. He needs to enchant everything with just ONE attempt and this will never happen.

I wouldn't necessarily agree on that. I don't know why you would say that completing dungeons without having the according gearscore was "stupid asf since dungeons provides no rewards at all" since you're getting loot quite well. I went into both GLS NM and HM without having either gearscore and had a ton of fun, got loot and gained experience.

Secondly, I don't know why you would take being a 6+ year player as an argument for either reaching or not having reached HO +3 yet. Especially since both gear and echanting revamp, there is no correlation between being a 6+ or a 6 months player.

Thirdly, what do you mean by "catch up"? Catch up on HO +3 which, to be quite honest, has yet to be reached by an estimated 70-80% of the players?

Lastly, @Rinami, just try it out. I can only speak for myself: I play on Yurian, I don't have any trouble at all getting invites to dungeons, I am currently on my way to getting Heroic Oath without having spent any money in the shop, I can affirm that running dungeons without having VG's gearscore can be fun and rewarding as heck and I can only advise to make some experiences on your own. Recently, there have been quite some people around in these forums claiming that TERA was dead, unplayable, p2w, no fun at all and things like that. As far as an above-casual, and long-term player goes, I can assert you that this is simply not true unless you have a really messy and unhealthy relationship with TERA.

• Just like Buxeri2 say, if u want a challenge well u can try it's hard if u dont spend RM (real money) but even so u can save gold and then buy materials to enchant ur gear. If u aren't looking for a challenge then i dont recommend playing Tera unless the whole situation we are in now calm down, u can ask in Tera NA too if is it now worth playing again there, if not, well there are other MMO's that u can try .
    If u even so want to play I recommend Mystel as ur starter server, wait for the patch 77 when the League of Levelers is ON so u can get a nice free Twishard Set and materials to upgrade it.
    Best Regards Kat
    :elin40:

• Its amazing why people would say this game is dying... amazing.

Guys do you actually play? or you just say that because you are just tired of playing it? lol.

*Content removed, user warned / ~Zancara

• As returning player i can say it's not hard how others said. I "started" with 20k gold and some old stuff, so... it was like if i just get max. lvl.
    Yes, enchanting gear is pain and really hard with low chances for success, but still if you want play and have fun in Tera, it's possible. Dungs are good, community is like in every MMORPG. You can find friendly and toxic players.
    And Mystel can be good server with a lot of people.

Btw. sorry for bad english, it's not my native language and i'm lazy use translator everytime. c:

• *Content removed, user warned / ~Zancara

I have absolutely no clue what pills you're on or which psychotic episode you're experiencing, but I can assure you that I have only one account for forums (= this) which happens to be the same, unique game account. I am more than open to discuss the current state of TERA, which is absolutely horrific for both endgame-geared (HO +0) and new players.

And what do you specifically mean by "mislead"? I don't know which hatred-fueled corner you came from, but the only thing I've done is to present the experience I have made thus far. And to be quite honest, I assume that I am way more capable of having a discussion about TERA than you - and your posting just proved my point.

The thing is: many of you seem so incredibly narrowed in both your perceptions and perspectives that you simply won't or can't accept any other opinions than yours.

Let me dive a little bit deeper:

@Kraxler, thanks for writing in red - made it much more easier do differentiate between the two texts:

Rewards are bad. If you consider time needed and effort to clear a dungeon it's not worth. Solo content is it if you want fast gold

I semi-agree. Not having reached the recommended gearscore leaves you with what someone might call "bad loot". You won't get any direct money, nor equip-exp, nor reputation and anything else a VG would provide. However, you can very well get emeralds, diamonds, veils, etchings, pets, and enchanting material (which is up to you to either store or to disenchant). If you perceive this as bad loot, then sure, playing those dungeons is both unworthy and non-rewarding. Once again, I can only speak for myself: having cleared dungeons I hadn't had the VG-Quest for felt rewarding for me, though I think a different system would make it more fun and appealing.

About the long-term player thingy: you're right. There is some correlation between how long you've played the game and how far you've already progressed, at least gold-wise What I was referring to in my mind and failed to present was that I know a handful of players who started playing TERA about ~5 months ago and have already outgeared me because they simply have more time they can invest in the game (no cashing involved). But yes, of course there is a connection between total playing time and progression.

About the content issue: personally, I don't feel the need to run every single content TERA has to offer, for I simply don't have the time for it. But if there will ever be a point until the next content arrives in EU, where I can run Bahaar I will do it. Until then, I'll do anything that is fun for me. And oh boy, just imagining running GG 16 times makes me want to puke. That's what I'd call stamina! :P
    Let me get this straight (also, because @Tera Rising has added some more nonsense while I was writing this text):

@Kraxler himself put it quite nicely: "[...] SC enchanting is a joke and rewards look nice for a sc player since it cost almost nothing at all. But you will see soon enough." As far as SC enchanting goes, I think that both needed materials and success rates are somewhat manageable. But from that on, enchanting is nothing but a joke, just as the grind that comes with it.
    I do not support the current enchanting from HO+0 onwards. I do not support the way Gameforge monetises this game as it's become nothing but a lottery if you cash. I do not support the way Gameforge profits from people's addictions. And lastly, I do not support the amount of time a non-casher needs to successfully enchant compared to when you cash. But hell no, I won't jump on that all-hate train since as of now, I am quite enjoying this game.
    By the way, don't let Tera Rising mislead you. Never have I stated that in TERA, everything was fine, the game was never ever better, neither that it was so amazing nor good. But hey, @Tera Rising, if that's what fits your narrative, so be it.

Oh and hey, whenever a day becomes 48 hours we might talk about working at Gameforge. But up until then, my full time studies and part-time work will do - Sorry, honey. :love:

• Oh that was good ****, thanks for that really!

What you said, i wanted to say exactly the same thing about you... after your last response to @Rinami where you said:

Codela wrote:

Just try it out. I can only speak for myself: I play on Yurian, I don't have any trouble at all getting invites to dungeons, I am currently on my way to getting Heroic Oath without having spent any money in the shop, I can affirm that running dungeons without having VG's gearscore can be fun and rewarding as heck and I can only advise to make some experiences on your own. Recently, there have been quite some people around in these forums claiming that TERA was dead, unplayable, p2w, no fun at all and things like that. As far as an above-casual, and long-term player goes, I can assert you that this is simply not true unless you have a really messy and unhealthy relationship with TERA.

Be respectful with other opinions please, defamation is not allowed in our forum.

~Zancara

• You're welcome - I'm always happy when I can make people laugh. ;)

As I am not sure what message you want to convey with your answer and since you haven't delivered any substantial points or arguments whatsoever, why don't we soon join a discord and talk about it? :rolleyes:

I'll leave it this way. Rinami : try to make your own experiences. Every game has its ups and downs, but in the end, it's the way you want to spend your free time in a MMO which shapes your experience. I can only invite you try it out without cashing. ^^

• the negativity in this thread is really overwhelming o.o

well why don't you just ask him, what he wants out of the game in the first place? :elin18:

i'm a long time player more on the casual site, i'm still stuck on a +7 stormcry weapon, does that make the game unplayable or not enjoyable for me?
    no, can still play it, can still run dungeons at my own pace

for someone that wants the best and be the best and whatever, it might be a problem,
    but for someone that just wants to have fun with people or just to chill out, just go for it? ='D
    i mean it's not like leveling will take ages and you wasted loads of time, you can be 65 as a new player in a week
    and then you can decide if the slow progression without cashing is ok for you or not

i think the fun comes from running with people and getting new experiences and not just having to grind the same dungeon over and over

my suggestion is, just check it out for yourself?
    you don't have to invest money right from the start anyway
    (talking from my own experience, i had tera club 4 times in my 4 years of playtime and the only money i invested was a veteran key back in the day)

now to answer the questions

1. like i said, it depends on what you want from tera, progression as fast as possible without enjoying the ride to get better and get gear, cashing is your friend
    playing with friends 1 or 2 hour a day, don't need to p2w for that.

2. sadly i'm not a pvp player, can't really comment on that, but i think if you find a class you enjoy it should work either way (my pc is just too bad for rendering other players fast enough ='D)

3. tera mainly revolves around endgame (meaning 65) leveling is cut rather short, so it can happen that you might have to solo dungeons or wait for a queue for quite a while
    if there are leveling events, it's usually faster because more people start leveling up new characters ^^
    you can always do quests while queueing as well

4. pick the class that you wanna play, maybe check out some vids so you can see how they're played at endgame
    if you picked a class, ask in global or here in the forum for a buddy up code that can give you some benefits for leveling a character up
    you can use that code only on one character per server though

anyway, just check it out, it's not like it'll hurt to try a f2p game ne :elin17:

• This. :thumbup:

• @Finero & @Codela no offense to you, but people like you with replies like "just check it for yourself, you're the only one who can decide that" or "it's f2p, try it yourself, nothing to lose" are beyond useless.

You assume the player asking such questions doesn't know the game is f2p, seriously? People ask these questions because they do not want to try it for themselves, or they would have done so before asking. Wasting 1 week to see if a game is *** not "free", and neither is downloading a huge *** game for some people.

Content removed / ~Zancara