"Naming Your Character" - The lore behind names and other tips!

    • "Naming Your Character" - The lore behind names and other tips!

      Hey everyone!


      It seems like many players prefer to pick simple and otherwise silly names. That is why I've been trying to remain as lore-friendly as possible and after doing my own share of research and writing several name examples across each rave I've come to the conclusion that even though the races of TERA aren't particularly inspired in just one culture of our world, there seems to be a pattern when it comes to their names and its origins. Names can vary and I haven't caught any meaningful surnames. So I'll be pointing out what I've managed to find!





      AMAN

      THE BASIC
      • Amani names are generally rough-sounding and emphasize on power;
      • Their names seem to share similarities to Jewish, Arabic, Indian and even Japanese names;
      • Names that are typically associated with man-beasts such as orcs and charr can be used as a source of inspiration;


      USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS




      BARAKA



      THE BASIC
      • Baraka names are isolated, tranquil and aren't meant to sound all that harsh;
      • Their names seem to share similarities to Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Turkish and Albanian names;

      USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS


      CASTANIC



      THE BASIC
      • Castanic names might come off as heroic or even dashing;
      • Their names can share similarities to common Greek names and other Indo-European languages;
      • Their names can also be based on succubus and incubus lore;

      USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS




      ELIN

      THE BASIC
      • Elin names are sometimes inspired by nature and other related topics or can come off as melodic and easy to pronounce;
      • Their names can share similarities to Celtic (Irish, Gaelic and Welsh) names;


      USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS


      HIGH ELF

      THE BASIC
      • Elf names can be considered aristocratic or even pure;
      • Their names can share similarities to Israeli, Roman and Algerian names;
      • The portray of elves in fiction is quite common, so it should be easy to come across thousands of names associated with these species;


      USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS


      HUMAN


      THE BASIC
      • Humans are the most generic species in a fantasy setting and are usually associated with medieval Europe;
      • Most of their names tend to be connected to common English and South African names;


      USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS


      POPORI


      THE BASIC
      • Popori names are also associated with nature;
      • Their names can share similarities to Jordanian, Japanese and Latin names;


      USEFUL WEBSITES AND NAME GENERATORS





      And that's all! Hope these help and let me know your thoughts on the matter! Thought I'd also post this here for some nice feedback!

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Maulclaw ().

    • The only problem about naming my characters is that Gameforge has entered the trend of making and merging servers, discarding many of my characters selected names with time regardless of being older.
    • Rafera wrote:

      The only problem about naming my characters is that Gameforge has entered the trend of making and merging servers, discarding many of my characters selected names with time regardless of being older.
      Thats why I think the best names are those that you create by yourself. For example, Lupulsaiu is a personal name, created by me and it is a very low chance that someone else would use this name. The only people who take my name are players who know me or saw some of my videos on youtube.
      Only dangerous people are dangerous!

      My youtube chanel!
    • Lupulsaiu wrote:

      Rafera wrote:

      The only problem about naming my characters is that Gameforge has entered the trend of making and merging servers, discarding many of my characters selected names with time regardless of being older.
      Thats why I think the best names are those that you create by yourself. For example, Lupulsaiu is a personal name, created by me and it is a very low chance that someone else would use this name. The only people who take my name are players who know me or saw some of my videos on youtube.

      I personally prefer to never re-use the same names when it comes to characters. I feel like giving each character their own identity feels much more rewarding and makes them more memorable. That's just me, though.
    • Yeah, it depends how you see your character and also what preferences you have when you play a MMORPG. I almost always play the same class and race and I also use the same name, because I try to identify myself with the character I play. I always try to make my character look similar to me. And also because I like to make youtube videos with the PvP I do in MMORPGs, I need to have a name like a brand for the fictional character that is played by me in MMORPGs. Imagine if Coca Cola would have a different name every year, it would not have anymore the same image.
      Only dangerous people are dangerous!

      My youtube chanel!
    • Lupulsaiu wrote:

      Yeah, it depends how you see your character and also what preferences you have when you play a MMORPG. I almost always play the same class and race and I also use the same name, because I try to identify myself with the character I play. I always try to make my character look similar to me. And also because I like to make youtube videos with the PvP I do in MMORPGs, I need to have a name like a brand for the fictional character that is played by me in MMORPGs. Imagine if Coca Cola would have a different name every year, it would not have anymore the same image.

      A bit of stretch there, though... comparing brands to fictional character names.When it comes to your YouTube's identity, I believe that using the same account name (even on social media) is the best way to go. There's a reason why games nowadays allow some sort of ID system in-game rather than have each character its own thing.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Maulclaw ().

    • Maulclaw wrote:

      Lupulsaiu wrote:

      Yeah, it depends how you see your character and also what preferences you have when you play a MMORPG. I almost always play the same class and race and I also use the same name, because I try to identify myself with the character I play. I always try to make my character look similar to me. And also because I like to make youtube videos with the PvP I do in MMORPGs, I need to have a name like a brand for the fictional character that is played by me in MMORPGs. Imagine if Coca Cola would have a different name every year, it would not have anymore the same image.
      A bit of stretch there, though... comparing brands to fictional character names.When it comes to your YouTube's identity, I believe that using the same account name (even on social media) is the best way to go. There's a reason why games nowadays allow some sort of ID system in-game rather than have each character its own thing.

      Yeah it was just an example that with brand, because I didnt find the right word for it. However, I think its good to keep private real life and virtual life separated, at least when it comes to computer games.
      Only dangerous people are dangerous!

      My youtube chanel!
    • Lupulsaiu wrote:

      I almost always play the same class and race and I also use the same name, because I try to identify myself with the character I play.
      I wish I could do that too.

      But there's the always infamous problem of "Name is already taken" issue with every online game... and I hate using weird characters like xxSenitaxx.
      My YouTube channel (Inactive :elin25: )
      For forum: (1)I don't PvP nor I refer to PvP unless I specify differently(2)I don't aim to the best gear nor I plan to challenge the hardest instances in the game, I'm a relaxed player, get it?
      Test Image ->
      (Testing Stuff,Don't Ask :ninja: )
    • senita456 wrote:

      Lupulsaiu wrote:

      I almost always play the same class and race and I also use the same name, because I try to identify myself with the character I play.
      I wish I could do that too.
      But there's the always infamous problem of "Name is already taken" issue with every online game... and I hate using weird characters like xxSenitaxx.
      If Senita is the name you like, than its very simple. Just find one more word that you like or take the initials of your real life names(surname and first name) or the initials of something other words you like and put it at the end of Senita. In my case its Lupul and saiu. In this way you will create your own special name and it will be a very low chance that anyone else takes your name. The problem will be that you cannot have the word Senita and your name would sound and look pretty different, if you put 2 or more initials at the end of the word Senita.
      Only dangerous people are dangerous!

      My youtube chanel!
    • To be honest I never had any problems finding a name for my chars (most of these, at least the main chars, exist since '13). Most of them aren't even bound to the character but are rather situational, ie. made out of funny/awkard/ridiculous situations I've had or NPCs from some other games.

      For names, basically what I use is:
      => Think of a name, for example "Blue".
      => Name already taken? That's bad, hope you get it the next server merge. Think of a method to change it, like Bluh, Bloo or xxbluexx. If I like it I'd take that instead.
      => use special characters, like Blûe (I loathe that, mainly because it mostly looks ridiculous. For example "ßlessed" looks almost like "Blessed" but has nothing to do with it).
      => If that doesn't work either: think of a different name. Memory's good enough. Besides, there are names that are never taken (Of course Kirito and Asuna ain't some of those, should be obvious).


      Issue with this is that basically if you got used to a name and this happens:

      Rafera wrote:

      The only problem about naming my characters is that Gameforge has entered the trend of making and merging servers, discarding many of my characters selected names with time regardless of being older.
      You're screwed. Mostly. At least until you realize you have to start over despite sticking with a name for quite a while.
      Ultima | Lv65 Priest | ILv 456 | Yurian
      Aeq | Lv65 Archer | ILv 453 | Yurian
      Quest | Lv65 Zerk | ILv 447 | Yurian


      Veku Archer | Aléx Lancer | Quiem Sorc | Disregard Warrior | Alcyel Mystic
      Requi Slayer | Aquah Gunner | Ranael Valkyrie | Xelia Priest

      Lordz of Ownage - 11/09/13 - Never forget
    • Lupulsaiu wrote:

      If Senita is the name you like, than its very simple. Just find one more word that you like or take the initials of your real life names(surname and first name) or the initials of something other words you like and put it at the end of Senita. In my case its Lupul and saiu. In this way you will create your own special name and it will be a very low chance that anyone else takes your name. The problem will be that you cannot have the word Senita and your name would sound and look pretty different, if you put 2 or more initials at the end of the word Senita.
      xSenitax.

      Next girl sees it taken -> xxSenitaxx.
      Next girl sees it taken -> xxxSenitaxxx.
      Next girl sees it taken -> xxxxSenitaxxxx.

      Damn now I know how the x thing was born.
    • Borsuc wrote:

      xSenitax.
      Next girl sees it taken -> xxSenitaxx.
      Next girl sees it taken -> xxxSenitaxxx.
      Next girl sees it taken -> xxxxSenitaxxxx.

      Damn now I know how the x thing was born.
      Don't forget you can't capitalize in the middle of a word without adding a dot or something similar. :crazy:
      Ultima | Lv65 Priest | ILv 456 | Yurian
      Aeq | Lv65 Archer | ILv 453 | Yurian
      Quest | Lv65 Zerk | ILv 447 | Yurian


      Veku Archer | Aléx Lancer | Quiem Sorc | Disregard Warrior | Alcyel Mystic
      Requi Slayer | Aquah Gunner | Ranael Valkyrie | Xelia Priest

      Lordz of Ownage - 11/09/13 - Never forget
    • Tutorial for creating your owm unique Name

      Step 1: Smash on your Keyboard randomly >>> jkhsdf
      Step 2: add a, e, i, o or u between letter which makes otherwise no sense >>>> jokahasodif
      Step 3: Make first letter with Capslock >>>>> Jokahasodif
      Step 4: Now you can start your journey