Moderators, their real job and why you are trying to silence us?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    We are looking for TERA Moderators for the EN section! Are you interested? Check this: [OPEN] Want to become a Moderator in Tera (EN) - Here's your chance!

    • Greensheep wrote:

      and by all meanings take this hint: "If you need to complain about a behavior/decision of any of the Staff Members, please contact the level above them."

      feel free to go "directly and dont hide behind the community if you have some problems with him/them.
      Have fun with that. Last time i waited 1 month for a Coma to take action. Dont know why these ppl are called Community-Manager. They Manage only the Copy&Paste for the incomplete patchnotes :D And even this wont work everytime :D

      A Coma talks with the community :D supports them / represents them. Thats the reason why they exist normaly. Dont know why Gameforge have Community-Managers when they give a shit about us :)
    • If you look things objectively, you can understand moderators too. All they do is moderate the forums and they are doing that strictly. Not to mention the title of this thread can be taken a very negative way too. And on the other hand, that (= strict moderation) creates problems and negates discussions. Which kills the purpose of the board itself.

      What I would like to see is that the board rules get a bit shaken up, loosening up a bit because even though the community speaks harshly about moderator actions, they're not far from the truth - this weird sense of locking threads, warning people who only wants good without further notice and such just makes them look a bit... emotionless?

      Just my two cents. But we'll see.
      <3 bit.do/NewbieGuide - Guide for new people

      Unsolved issues - If any important issue is forgotten, pop it there! :stick:
    • This is not complicated

      Moderators in most free games are poor saps that take all the heat while having nearly no influence. Lots of threads on this forum tend to go off topic pretty fast as well and its full of whining and negativity. Im not saying that the bitching isnt justified sometimes but that kind of nonsense is all thats needed to justify closing a topic. Ive only been back playing tera some months and only read the forums once in a while and i feel in alot of cases mods show great restraint closing topics. One of the reasons i almost didnt come back was because if you look at the forum its all doom and gloom and im sure lots of people that read the forums before playing will decide not to try the game or come back because of it.

      There comes a point where you have to decide if youre okay with proxy/whatever and the direction the game is taking or not. It should be obvious nothing is going to change if youve been around a while. If they cared about your concerns it doesnt take months or years to come up with an official response. Tera at this point is enough of a cash cow that itll be around for a while.But probably not nearly enough to fix issues that wont affect people spending anyway or to give a hoot about the people on the forum complaining which from what i can tell is a very tiny group and the same names keep popping up.

      The future of this game is like all others of its kind. Though itll last longer because of the unique combat system and its pretty fun overall plus its earning model seems to do well for some reason even with the high pricing. Years from now when even the most loyal vets stop playing and the population dwindles talk/ rumors about the game dying will be common. At that point you will see community managers and mods denying that the game will close to keep players spending till the very moment the front page and forum announcement show the closing of tera notice. Which will be without warning.

      So if you like the game i suggest you just play it while it lasts and embrace the 'tools' that improve your gameplay.
    • Alright, here is the answer. I'm sorry that you had to wait almost a week but I couldn't make it before.
      I'll try to answer as much as possible, this thread will be re-opened so that you can ask questions or discuss if you want to.

      First of all: (As most of you know) We do not discuss bans on the forum. If anyone of you has a question about a ban or wants to complain about it, you can always send a ticket. Also, we do not discuss bans with third parties so I am not going to explain why benox (as his name was mentioned) or any other user was banned from the forum.

      It looks like some of you have a wrong idea of what we moderators are doing, so let me explain/clarify this: Moderators are usually coming from the players' base (in most cases - I'm one of the exceptions here) and are doing this task because they like the game and want to support it. I am not sure why some of you come up with that idea but we are not doing this for any kind of payment (if you want to call it like this).
      Moderators have several tasks: one of them is to check the forum obviously and take care of reports, making sure that everyone follows the forum rules and so on. This also includes warning or even banning users which - let me tell you a secret - does not let you feel extra special. Another task is to collect the feedback of the community (together with the Community Management) to get an overview of the community's opinion. Keep in mind that not everyone is active in the forum and not everyone voices their opinion here so this is only one part of the player base which speaks here. However, we read what you write and this is also forwarded (be it suggestions, complaints or bug reports).

      I can understand that there are some issues in every game from time to time and I can assure you that we forward our and also your opinions. The only "problem" here is that our possibilities are limited as Gameforge is only publisher not developer (which is BHS). As there are multiple Tera versions there is not only our feedback which is taken into account. Of course proxy is one of the main issues right now but there is not much we moderators can do about it (we forwarded your feedback on that topic, the rest is out of our hands). I am not sure why some of you think we have magic powers... it's not that easy as you might think.

      Nobody of the moderators is forced to work here. We do that in our free time and I am (and also the Community Management) thankful for everything they do. Something I am often wondering about is why some of you are always complaining about how bad moderation is done here on the forum, but almost nobody of you tries to do it better ([CLOSED] Want to become a Moderator in Tera (EN) - Here's your chance!). This just tells me that we can't be that bad at our work.

      Lebtejebo wrote:

      Im found myself insulted on forum by one guy which post remained and i got warned for simple calm answer?
      If you have any issue with a warning you can always contact the moderator who warned you, if this does not help the SMod and then one of the BA's. (This applies for everyone:) If I never get poked about a warning by you which is wrong in your eyes, then I can't do much about it...


      Needtoilet wrote:

      But when Gameforge thinks "these ppl are perfect to work for us" then we cant stop them. Many ppl ask me "why is GF ignoring? why doesnt they care!?"
      We don't just accept everyone who applies for the team. If anyone convinces us with their application and everything else is fine, we are happy to welcome them to the team, but we also reject applications.


      Xilokz wrote:

      1. These mods serve Gameforge and silence us.

      2. These mod have no balls to stand up to Gameforge . Maybe they like playing Forummod (lul) or their "offtopic / warned etc" posting and dont want to lose it.

      3. Or they do all of that and Gameforge gives a big shit.

      For me im thinking its a combination of all 3.
      1. No. (We have better things to do than doing that).
      2. No. (Yeah, it's only about that.... not.)
      3. No.

      Rafera wrote:

      Maybe they ban us all in this thread too and close it lol. Pathethic
      Yeah we got nothing better to do :/


      senita456 wrote:

      Who elects / selects them? Gameforge obviously, who you think they represent? the community that didn't elected / selected them? obviously not.
      Of course the Community Managers have the final decision in choosing moderators, however applications are checked by the team (which includes me) and I read every single application over the last 5 years, so mods are also selected by me. Electing moderators is an interesting idea but this is nothing which would work here (but this doesn't mean you can't suggest people to us!).


      Hr1s7i wrote:

      If you folks read the forum rules and guidelines to which you signed when you made your forum account, you will realize just how lenient mods are around here (with a couple of exceptions).
      We really don't warn a lot here lately. And the question if we keep it like that is basically up to the community itself (obviously we will warn spam posts or close threads if they go off topic).


      Buschfunker wrote:

      Hr1s7i wrote:

      If you folks read the forum rules and guidelines to which you signed when you made your forum account, you will realize just how lenient mods are around here (with a couple of exceptions). Now we can argue all day long about whether it's correct to put customer's money first instead of the customer him/herself (and all the subsequent derivations from the approach selected), but that is, sadly, beyond the purpose and scope of this forum.
      People here dont complain about some bans or closing threads. People here complaining about the "I dont give a shit about you and this game" mentality. Right now moderator shiro closed antoher thread in this forum and while he is still ignoring the issues here. This is what people really piss of and those moderators are to shy or ignorant to give an official statement to the issues which are known over months. But for sure, he can close threads all day. This has nothing to do with the moderator job, he has to do what his name say, to moderate.
      The moderators were told that I will take care of this thread, therefore no need to blame them for doing their job. As said above, we can forward your opinion and we do that, we just don't have magic powers. :)

      Noyn wrote:

      The other thing you are pointing out: Some forum users are requesting an "official" statement from moderators. This wont happen in 99% of all cases for the simple reason that this is not their job. On the other hand, personal opinions are often mistaken for an "official" statement, thats why (at least for me when i was an active moderator) i often held back on giving feedback from my side cause some people tend to bend my words, making situations even more complicated.
      And moderators are forwarding feedback internally as one of their jobs. But thats pretty much it. They dont have much influence on decisions made in a "higher" department or in Korea itself.
      Just because you dont see work being done doesnt mean that there is none to begin with.
      What he said.


      Buschfunker wrote:

      I would believe you when you can answer me following questions:
      Why should moderators just act like robots? Is the power to be an forum moderator so strong? I dont think so.
      We don't act like robots. We just follow the rules. As one example was mentioned before, support discussions/account issues simply do not belong into the forum. Those threads are closed because there is nothing to discuss here. There is nothing more behind that.

      Buschfunker wrote:

      Why should they are scared from losing their position as a moderator? This would only make a sense if they have a huge advantage in the game. I dont think they have. So why they should care about replacement?
      No, we are not scared of losing our positions. And Gameforge surely won't fire us for saying our opinion. However starting a rebellion is not a solution either.


      senita456 wrote:

      So, who knows what sort of terms moderators have to sign to "work" for Gameforge?, some typical terms in contracts are... that you can't talk about your contract details, I wouldn't be surprised if "Talking negatively against Gameforge" was actually in their contract,
      "Getting too involved in the community", this could probably also be there, as it may have repercussions on their judgments.
      Don't worry, we can say our opinion. :) The question is just how you communicate it, going on the forum and starting flame threads (as moderator) does not look mature. Posting personal opinions is no issue basically but the main problem is that - no matter what you say or how you say it - some people will always take your personal opinion as Gameforge's opinion or just understand it how they want to understand it.

      senita456 wrote:

      Probably because of the benefits?
      If you do anything just for the benefits, then you shouldn't do it. Just my personal opinion here.

      Glacial` wrote:

      What I would like to see is that the board rules get a bit shaken up, loosening up a bit because even though the community speaks harshly about moderator actions, they're not far from the truth - this weird sense of locking threads, warning people who only wants good without further notice and such just makes them look a bit... emotionless?
      Already said something about the rules before. If you have any suggestions about them, please let me know. And also said before, if anyone has an issue with a warning they can always contact me.

      ---

      Alright, I tried to comment as much as possible here. I know I might not tell you surprising breaking news but I am ready to discuss in this thread in case anyone wants. Please don't go off-topic as this would just result in... well, you know it.


      NO GAME SUPPORT VIA PM // KEIN GAME-SUPPORT PER PN

      ENGLISH: Forum Rules and Guidelines | Chat
      GERMAN: Foren-Regeln und -Richtlinien | Chat
    • @ Vayus: Why did you even reacted to such a stupid topic.

      People can't expect 100% of the mods on the internet to be smart.

      I got warned here a few times because i "insulted" someone by calling him/her a noob, another time because i called them a little kiddy.
      My next warning will probably be after i call someone a Banana.

      Who cares.
    • Om3Ga wrote:

      @ Vayus: Why did you even reacted to such a stupid topic.

      People can't expect 100% of the mods on the internet to be smart.

      I got warned here a few times because i "insulted" someone by calling him/her a noob, another time because i called them a little kiddy.
      My next warning will probably be after i call someone a Banana.

      Who cares.

      Well, mods kinda "care" .
      I think its a really good point for Vayus that he took himself the time to react to as much as possible.
      Many people get wrong what a moderators job is. :) Now some more people get a better picture, at least those who actually care.
    • Why do you keep removing my links to my tera discord (my post & signature link deleted) though am i not allowed to make an unofficial community too with blackjack and hookers, and no nazi moderation that bans you for saying words like "nigger" and "greedforge" xd

      (Disclaimer: This post contains nothing vulgar nor insulting if you do find my post as such maybe you should consult with a doctor instead of deleting and censoring)


      Friendly Tera EU discord (No Gameforge mods): discord.gg/Xwz2kmv
      :)

    • Moler wrote:

      Why do you keep removing my links to my tera discord (my post & signature link deleted) though am i not allowed to make an unofficial community too with blackjack and hookers, and no nazi moderation that bans you for saying words like "nigger" and "greedforge" xd

      (Disclaimer: This post contains nothing vulgar nor insulting if you do find my post as such maybe you should consult with a doctor instead of deleting and censoring)
      I feel like you didn't read anything Vayus wrote. If you have a problem with a moderators decision you should contact that moderator or his superior like Vayus said and in the best case per private conversation since this stuff in my opinion should not be openly discussed.
      Rechtsschreibfeler? Kenn ick nicht. Kann man dass Essen?

      EU:
      Arlassa - Kriegermain - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Matoi.Ryuko - Kriegertwink - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Rânâ.Lînchên - Brawler - Mensch - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Lucymârvel - Mystiker - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Arlos - Lanzer - Mensch - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      verschiedene nicht Lvl 65 Chars
    • Arlos wrote:

      Moler wrote:

      Why do you keep removing my links to my tera discord (my post & signature link deleted) though am i not allowed to make an unofficial community too with blackjack and hookers, and no nazi moderation that bans you for saying words like "nigger" and "greedforge" xd

      (Disclaimer: This post contains nothing vulgar nor insulting if you do find my post as such maybe you should consult with a doctor instead of deleting and censoring)
      I feel like you didn't read anything Vayus wrote. If you have a problem with a moderators decision you should contact that moderator or his superior like Vayus said and in the best case per private conversation since this stuff in my opinion should not be openly discussed.

      I thought a question like mine would be fitting in a thread titled about moderators silencing people. As for PMs, I don't really mind if they give a public response to my question. They can also be held responsible this way, it's easier to silence people via PMs while others have no clue what kind of bullshit excuses they say in these PMs.


      Friendly Tera EU discord (No Gameforge mods): discord.gg/Xwz2kmv
      :)

    • hi friends,

      i too have been victim of inconsistent and irresponsible moderating by my moderator friends a time or five.

      upon calling them, specifically @Noyn, out on it i was banned. my attempts to contact the moderators through the very useful 'conversations' tool this forum offers, to discuss this matter, were brutally ignored and even resulted in @Zancara blocking me entirely.

      back then i asked for more influence in the obviously rigged selection phase that mods go through, but unsurprisingly that thread was deleted.

      i suggest that at least 50% of the current moderator team will be dismissed and replaced by players that are known to be capable of providing constructive feedback and being respected authority figures for everyone on this forum, even those with a more distinct vision.

      naturally, these replacements will have to be chosen by the community.
      i hereby volunteer to put this forum on the right track.

      best regards,
      pay - very skilled, important and smart player
    • @Moler: I don't think I need to answer that question... and about your signature: Shiro can't even edit it, so please edit on your own or I have to do it.

      @payystation: If you are real pay and have any questions about your ban, you can always send a ticket.


      NO GAME SUPPORT VIA PM // KEIN GAME-SUPPORT PER PN

      ENGLISH: Forum Rules and Guidelines | Chat
      GERMAN: Foren-Regeln und -Richtlinien | Chat
    • Thank you for taking your time to reply! ^^

      Currently I am not thinking anything special just a few things, like:
      • No posts should be deleted just edited
      • Would show who moderated it and the exact reason why
      • Same as for warnings, it shouldn't be simply "Warned | Name" but also a reason for doing so (sometimes I miss this)
      • If possible (I don't think it currently is) the original text that had to be moderated are still there in some way (like a spoiler that can be only seen by moderators, quoting for justification)
      • Draw a line, using words that are considered offensive but not directed to anyone should be... tolerated at least. For example someone saying "These crybabies [more text here]." But I do not think it is possible, everyone has different tolerance levels.


      And to react to some other points:


      Vayus wrote:

      Yeah we got nothing better to do
      Sarcasm is not helping here. :c

      Vayus wrote:

      Something I am often wondering about is why some of you are always complaining about how bad moderation is done here on the forum, but almost nobody of you tries to do it better ([CLOSED] Want to become a Moderator in Tera (EN) - Here's your chance!).
      Personally I had thought about this many many times before but two things always holds me back.

      First is the blind hate some people are giving to moderators in general, generalising and bashing. Like people hating on politicians even if some of them are trying to do something good. I don't really want to be a part of that, not sure if I can handle that.

      Second, that thread clearly states that

      anemsalok wrote:

      Be at least 16 years of age with a valid legal picture ID (not school ID) (Do not attach your ID to your application! If you are accepted we will ask for it later.)

      Which is something I am really hesitant to do (to give out personal information to complete strangers over the internet, whom I do not personally know).

      And lastly

      anemsalok wrote:

      Be helpful, respectful and reasonable - the most important job of a Mod is to help the players!

      I think this line should be reworded or taken out completely as I know SOMEONE who'd just right on take this as an example, why don't moderators actually help players and why do they only moderate the forums. You know who is it, @Sunflare? xD



      But aside all this I can agree with you. If no one is going to apply to make a difference then I do not know what are they expecting here. I would like to do it just not sure if I can handle it. And the other point I mentioned.
      <3 bit.do/NewbieGuide - Guide for new people

      Unsolved issues - If any important issue is forgotten, pop it there! :stick:
    • Glacial` wrote:



      anemsalok wrote:

      Be helpful, respectful and reasonable - the most important job of a Mod is to help the players!
      I think this line should be reworded or taken out completely as I know SOMEONE who'd just right on take this as an example, why don't moderators actually help players and why do they only moderate the forums. You know who is it, @Sunflare? xD

      What? I mean i could be wrong but telling people to "contact support" with the direct link is considered help for players aswell right? To show them the path to get their problems solved?
      But yeah i see where this comes from, there is sometimes not much activity from mods in simple threads (without taking tech support/help in account, this game is too messy lol).
    • Noyn wrote:

      What? I mean i could be wrong but telling people to "contact support" with the direct link is considered help for players aswell right? To show them the path to get their problems solved?
      It is (indirect help). But if it's something easier to help out with, it's just an extra unnecessary step and adds 1-2 extra days. That is why I am asking for different wording because there are people who're giving indirect help and there are others who're expecting direct help.
      <3 bit.do/NewbieGuide - Guide for new people

      Unsolved issues - If any important issue is forgotten, pop it there! :stick: