[PvP] Patch 66: Battleground Rankings

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • [PvP] Patch 66: Battleground Rankings

      Hey all!

      As some of you might already know (more info about the patch hopefully by next week), with the next bigger patch TERA will see a reintroduction of some more openly displayed Battleground Rankings, looking like this:



      That being said, there are no build-in seasonal rewards in the planned release version, but we're currently working on an event to provide some to our PvP players!

      Now this is a manual operation on our end on a monthly basis, and as such I'd like to get your feedback on what you'd prefer as far as rankings go - current thoughts:

      • Seasons
        • One Season is active for 4 weeks, and resets in the morning at 5 am.
      • Rankings
        • Since Matching is done amongst all servers, the rankings will also be considered as such.
        • Option A: We consider the Top 3 (of each class) of each BG
        • Option B: We consider the Top 5 (of each class) over all the BGs
        • Option C: We consider the Top 5 (of each class) of a specific BG only
        • Option D: We consider the Top 3 (of each class) of each BG for specific rewards, and the Top 1 (of each class) over all BGs for a special reward
      • Rewards
        • Still in the making, but I'd like to try and get titles for this - even if it's the same title for a class every month
        • For example: Bundle of Reward X for "Top 3 of each class of each BG" and Title for "Top 1 of each class over all BGs"
      • Etc
        • If the above works / data and items are available, some further thoughts would be additional rewards such as "was in Top 3 last 3 seasons" & similar

      As mentioned, this is currently being worked on (both evaluation of the data, as well as checking potential requests, since achievements & etc are out of the norm requests), but I'd like to gather some feedback from you guys already, so that we can consider it as far as possible.

      Thank you!
      Atmorph
    • Would be nice if Skyring Premade was equalized (same topic again :/ ) and only available X hours per day (to prevent abuse)...

      Rewards...
      Perhaps increase rewards for players who are playing battlegrounds too? Current PvP rewards are utter garbage. And giving something to 40 players only at end of each season wont make a big difference (after few seasons) when it comes to PvP activity. It might even kill PvP activity in last week of the season (once players start to camp on rating).
      Its positive you want to reward best players, just dont forget to buff rewards for playing certain battleground too. Its sad how last patch we had nice rewards (mes, mwa, spellbind, feedstock,...) and this patch we get nothing again.
    • Atmorph wrote:


      • Rankings
        • Since Matching is done amongst all servers, the rankings will also be considered as such.
        • Option A: We consider the Top 3 (of each class) of each BG
        • Option B: We consider the Top 5 (of each class) over all the BGs
        • Option C: We consider the Top 5 (of each class) of a specific BG only
        • Option D: We consider the Top 3 (of each class) of each BG for specific rewards, and the Top 1 (of each class) over all BGs for a special reward

      option A or D, some players prefer/like to queue only for 1 battleground

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Trod ().

    • Reward players based on server they play. This will increase amount of players from PvE servers in battlegrounds... resulting in faster ques.

      @Trod nvm (it was edited while I was typing, how am I supposed to know ;D )

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Unborn ().

    • Unborn wrote:

      Rewards...

      Perhaps increase rewards for players who are playing battlegrounds too? Current PvP rewards are utter garbage. And giving something to 40 players only at end of each season wont make a big difference (after few seasons) when it comes to PvP activity. It might even kill PvP activity in last week of the season (once players start to camp on rating).
      Its positive you want to reward best players, just dont forget to buff rewards for playing certain battleground too. Its sad how last patch we had nice rewards (mes, mwa, spellbind, feedstock,...) and this patch we get nothing again.
      That's definitely also going to be a topic - both in the mid term as well as in the future to (hopefully) adjust basic rewards (not only via event time table) - but while that's also important, it depends less on feedback than the ranking itself does.

      Unborn wrote:

      Reward players based on server they play. This will increase amount of players from PvE servers in battlegrounds... resulting in faster ques.
      That's currently not the intention - both from a workload as well as server population distribution point of view.
    • Thanks for reply.

      Then I vote for option A. I personally find titles useless... If you plan to give an unique title... It should be only for ONE player that get highest combined rating (from screenshot I assume) from CS, FW, premade (CS+FW+premade = highest rank = new unique title).
    • Atmorph wrote:

      That's currently not the intention - both from a workload as well as server population distribution point of view.

      Population distribution is made per server, most rankings we ever had in this game were per server as well(crusade rankings, pre crusade leaderboard rankings, Crucible of Flame Rankings, etc...). That said rankings must be made per server, as other servers should compete for a rank in their country(server) and not world(cross server, which will make most servers a minority on ranks as they cannot team up with players from other servers like for example Killian[PvP server] competitive premade groups).
      Workload isn't a problem as you are payed to work and servers are far from their capacity peaks. :)

      Regarding rewards I prefer option D over all, the idea of giving prize bundles to the top 3 of each BG and a unique title to the top players across all Battlegrounds as a special reward is good and promotes activity across all content. :thumbup:
    • Option A. (Option D if it's an extra title for over all BGs, but not much else tho)

      No offense but what's Option C for? Only one BG? (should be Skyring, learn form B&S :crazy: ) I can imagine the drama with that option.

      Unborn wrote:

      Would be nice if Skyring Premade was equalized (same topic again :/ ) and only available X hours per day (to prevent abuse)...

      Rewards...
      Perhaps increase rewards for players who are playing battlegrounds too? Current PvP rewards are utter garbage. And giving something to 40 players only at end of each season wont make a big difference (after few seasons) when it comes to PvP activity. It might even kill PvP activity in last week of the season (once players start to camp on rating).
      Its positive you want to reward best players, just dont forget to buff rewards for playing certain battleground too. Its sad how last patch we had nice rewards (mes, mwa, spellbind, feedstock,...) and this patch we get nothing again.
      +1
    • Rafera wrote:

      Atmorph wrote:

      That's currently not the intention - both from a workload as well as server population distribution point of view.
      Population distribution is made per server, most rankings we ever had in this game were per server as well(crusade rankings, pre crusade leaderboard rankings, Crucible of Flame Rankings, etc...). That said rankings must be made per server, as other servers should compete for a rank in their country(server) and not world(cross server, which will make most servers a minority on ranks as they cannot team up with players from other servers like for example Killian[PvP server] competitive premade groups).
      +1 altho Ktera is going to implement a cross server LFG at a later patch which means from a workload point of view it would be easier. On the other hand if the rating is cross server and not per server that means PvP will not be that active on PvE servers (since no rating-no competition)
    • Om3Ga wrote:

      That is not rating, it's points.

      The more games you play the higher your score. Doesn't matter if you lose or win (beside more points for a win).

      This new "ranking system" is bullshit just like i said 4 months ago.
      LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

      also pls stop trying to make unique shit leaderboards and just use the old ranking system instead, don't need shitty pve players showing in top 10s when they're losing 95% of the games :) :P :) :P



    • Borsuc wrote:

      Option A. (Option D if it's an extra title for over all BGs, but not much else tho)

      No offense but what's Option C for? Only one BG? (should be Skyring, learn form B&S :crazy: ) I can imagine the drama with that option.

      Unborn wrote:

      Would be nice if Skyring Premade was equalized (same topic again :/ ) and only available X hours per day (to prevent abuse)...

      Rewards...
      Perhaps increase rewards for players who are playing battlegrounds too? Current PvP rewards are utter garbage. And giving something to 40 players only at end of each season wont make a big difference (after few seasons) when it comes to PvP activity. It might even kill PvP activity in last week of the season (once players start to camp on rating).
      Its positive you want to reward best players, just dont forget to buff rewards for playing certain battleground too. Its sad how last patch we had nice rewards (mes, mwa, spellbind, feedstock,...) and this patch we get nothing again.
      +1
      For that, Bluehole must be able to give soloq/premade 3v3 different rankings first.

      From what I've seen is that the rank system will stay the same(So soloq and premade will share the same rating), which will have only negative effects on the rankings

      Soloq -> people will kick like the good ol Vol*****x to win for the title/whatever you get

      -> people will go tryhard on broken classes in soloq that can solo things(because soloq is 95% solo carry and 5% teamplay)

      -> premade will stay dead or the same few people that play guardian premade will keep doing it.

      3 ways how to solve this issue:

      1: Disable Soloq and only let 3v3 premade active(It's stupid anyways that the rating even says "premade" but the rating also affects soloq)

      2: Give them both different rankings, while giving the soloq one no rewards or anything(e-peen ranking)

      3: Replace soloq with the skirmish that we had when Tera went f2p in 2013, no rankings, no rating checks for instant qpops.


      Besides that, option D would be the best imo.
    • Soeasy wrote:

      For that, Bluehole must be able to give soloq/premade 3v3 different rankings first.
      From what I've seen is that the rank system will stay the same(So soloq and premade will share the same rating), which will have only negative effects on the rankings

      Soloq -> people will kick like the good ol Vol*****x to win for the title/whatever you get

      -> people will go tryhard on broken classes in soloq that can solo things(because soloq is 95% solo carry and 5% teamplay)

      -> premade will stay dead or the same few people that play guardian premade will keep doing it.

      3 ways how to solve this issue:

      1: Disable Soloq and only let 3v3 premade active(It's stupid anyways that the rating even says "premade" but the rating also affects soloq)

      2: Give them both different rankings, while giving the soloq one no rewards or anything(e-peen ranking)

      3: Replace soloq with the skirmish that we had when Tera went f2p in 2013, no rankings, no rating checks for instant qpops.


      Besides that, option D would be the best imo.
      I assumed from Atmorph screenshot that rating wont be same anymore? - It should not be same for premade/soloq!

      Guardian premade will die. Its enough to have one geared team in que and rip. Also draw abuse need to be fixed (instead draw -> should be loss). CAP abuse need to be fixed as well.

      Tryharding on best classes wont be as efficient as now anymore... Rewards for top 3 on each class... Better to play underdog class and be good with it.

      My opinion how to solve this issue:
      1. CAP removed when entering battleground. -> Should be easy to fix.
      2. Draw abuse -> team that drop/kick in skyring premade will automatically lose. -> Should be easy to fix.
      3. Disable soloq rating (or change it to +-0 rating for winning, losing, drawing... who cares if it will still count towards win percentage, when rank is only thing that will matter after this change). Only premade should give players +-. This will allow new players to practice in friendlier environment. -> Should be easy to fix.
      4. Remove big head buff while inside skyring (just for match duration or remove 24 hour buff... idc)! Can not see animations if player is using big head and head costume. -> Should be easy to fix.
      5. Equalize premade.
      6. Keep current rating system! If what Omega wrote is true (more you play = higher rating)... Then just dont bother with rewards for top3 players and just increase rewards for playing.

      Om3Ga wrote:

      That is not rating, it's points.

      The more games you play the higher your score. Doesn't matter if you lose or win (beside more points for a win).

      This new "ranking system" is bullshit just like i said 4 months ago.
      No comment if this is true.

      PS: Gameforge staff, good luck with fixing PvP rewards and PvP itself. Hopefully you finally manage to fix it. But lets be honest... We just wasting time for 999th time here on board. :/

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Unborn ().

    • Currently battlegrounds have a lot of issues that impact competitivety, from those mentioned above by our players (Camel Accelerator, 3v3 team still unequalised, FW gear based, wintrading, the already common cheaters, draw abuse and so on...) and the match making itself in many cases. I wished they fixed the real problems first, before applying a patch that will provide rewards for being competitive in something that currently is nearly acompetitive.

      Still a great initiative to implement rewards on the incoming leaderboard which i support.
    • option B. Some bg(like fw) depends way too much on party gear and setup. I rather see a good player being rewarded because hes good in every bg(pvp) and is able to carry. Also, that would make some bg active instead of ppl just doing skyring premade or fw with same ppl in pt.
    • Dear@'Atmorph',

      Well, this is great idea and we as a PvP community are thankful for that.

      I would like to vote for Option D, looks more fair. The rewards should be worthy otherwise, your effort will be gone with the wind.

      I'm against Option B, because this is not fair. Some players are interested in only 1 battleground, why should they get judged by other battlegrounds as well?


      Also, I'm against Option C, because you can't force someone to be competitive in only 1 battleground, you are destroying the game experience with this option

      But question now is, how can you rate players? How is the score get calculated?

      Also, about the 3v3 solo and premade bgs, this should have different rating system for sure, otherwise, it's not acceptable at all!

      We still have many problems in battlegrounds, like:

      - Matchmaking problems:

      1 - You get into FW, your team has 3 Lancers while opponent team has no tank

      Proposed Solution: I don't know what causes this problem, maybe the match making consider Warrior and Zerk as tank? Well, the solution is simple, make a rule of 2 lancers vs 2 lancers or 1 lancer 1 brawler vs 1 lancer 1 brawler or 2 brawlers vs 2 brawlers.

      2 - Same problem with healers, a team has 3 priests while the other team has 3 mystic
      Proposed Solution: At least 1 Priest and 1 Mystic in each raid will be fine.

      3 - Cross server matching! In CS/FW, leading is important. It's a main part of the game. Why you should get matched with people who don't speak English?

      An example about this, is a risk-all strategy in CS.
      Basically the plan goes as follow:
      - pt 1 left air
      - pt 2 right air-
      - pt 3 north attack cannons at mid so air pass
      - pt 4 south attack cannons at mid so air pass.

      What does this require?
      It requires some luck with inner tank, but most importantly that each party understand what they are doing.
      So if people don't understand English, then how can we communicate with them?

      Having non English speakers in a CS/FW game is bad experience!

      Proposed Solution: International servers/English speakers servers should match together.

      4 - The Crystals. Why would you allow a guy with Hardy Crystals to Q ? Then he go inside, people trash talk him, he get cancer and so on.

      Proposed Solution: If the guy has a PvE crystal he should not be allowed to Q.

      5- Combat Accelerator problem

      Proposed Solution: Guess removing combat accelerator is not possible!

      6- People don't know how to PvP. I spoke about this problem and gave a proposed solution here Outdated ingame info

      __

      To be honest, ranking will not make since with all those problems in matching. For example I can imagine a premade of 2 geared lancers for FW that will dominate every game. I also can imagine, a group of PvE players who don't speak English and are doing CS! Also, we can all imagine that everyone will use CA now. Let's not speak about the easy win trading that can happen in 3v3. Or the kick someone from BG because most ppl in the raid are from same guild.

      __

      But it's a good start, I believe the GF team became more aware of the PvP state in the game, and how people are interested in doing PvP.

      Thanks to everyone who was supporting a PvP event, issue. Thanks to those who were crying in forum about reviving PvP.

      I believe we are 1 step closer!

      Regards,
      Matrixo

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Matrixo ().