An essay on everything wrong about TERA Online

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• An essay on everything wrong about TERA Online

An Essay on everything wrong about TERA Online

Hello there,
      I decided to write a little summary about everything that seems to be wrong about the current game situation. This is not ment to discourage anyone from playing the game and as much as I hate to say that all that I will write below is true, I still love the game, no matter what - even if that might sound odd, given the amount of things that are just wrong. WIthout further ado, lets get into this:

Hackers/Proxy users

Let's start this with an obvious one. The most renown of these is without a doubt the so called "Memeslash", which makes Valkyries be able to dodge infinitly and one shot everyone - even those that are not directly hit - with their skill "Dreamslash". Similar abuses can be done with sorcerers void pulse, but it is less commonly used. One of the first people to use this on my server actually did not get banned for several days, and messed massivly with the Civil Unrest on our server (Killian). And even if they get banned, they usually find a way to either make a new account and continue what they were doing before - which is ruining the game for everyone else - or they sell their product and others continue doing the same as them. This issue is by no means fixed, as i saw someone memeslashing just some minutes ago in Velika Outskirts. This bug is of course not only ruining the PvP scene (which has enough problems as it is, but more on that later) but they can also one shot every boss in dungeons, having an impact on the PvE scene as well. This issue has been around for several months now, the sorcerer abuse for even longer. No sign of this ever stoping.

Other things used quite commonly are less intrusive and less obvious, such as a proxy that automaticly heals you when you are low HP and near a Cleric of Restoration or the skill prediction proxy, that among others things, makes you desync even more than you usually would.

Desyncs and hitboxes

SInce the beginning of TERA, people have been jumping around in order to make desyncs more likely to occur, but even without jumping, desyncs ruin the game for many people and more often than not are the deciding factor for a win or a loss. Certain classes - namely close range classes such as berserkers, warriors and slayers - suffer massivly from this, as they need to land that stagger/stun/kd or they will be countered in the next second. If that skill then desyncs and misses (even though it shouldn't), that usually means, that now you will get counter comboed and die within the next seconds. Meanwhile classes with bigger AOEs suffer a lot less, because they can still hit their target, if he just slightly desyncs.

Desyncs seem to occur more frequently with higher attack speed values but of course the most deeciding factor here is the ping difference between players and your connection to the game servers. I personally play at a stable 35-50ms (full attack speed warrior) and I roughly desync every 2nd to 3rd duel at least once, sometimes more often. And even in PvE the huge bosses can desync, they usually do after using certain attacks (for example Lakan used to desync a lot after using his forward slash).

Another issue are often the hitboxes where you either pass through the enemy (Warrior's Combative Strike into Traverse Cut or Charging Slash, Slayer's Heart Thrust or Headlong Rush...) even if there is collision in the area and you are not in the same party, or you should hit the enemy but it does not connect (Ninja's close range stun...). I am not certain about this, but I have more problems with passing through enemies when they are small (Elin master race?).

FPS and grey models

We all know TERA is very poorly optimised, there are tons of tweaks floating around the internet on how to improve your FPS in TERA. Some of them work, some of them don't. Even a really good computer can have huge problems running TERA smoothly, even if it can play other games with way higher system requirements without any problems. Lags affect a huge chunk of the playerbase but they get especially bad when it comes to big amounts of players asembling and using their skills - which usually happens during either mass PvP or Boss hitting Events. It then often becomes so bad, that you can just guess where in your rotation you actually are and just try your best do at least land the hits on the boss or player somehow. Sometimes the lag is so bad, that you dont even see the boss and you get hit by something that is invisible to you.

In PvP there is another thing that adds to this problem. The game needs to load the players, but when they can not be loaded fast enough, they appear as so called "grey models" which have no skill animations whatsoever and you can not even see what class they are or if you actually hit your skills. Even if you seem to be hitting the grey model, it often happens that they are either already dead or they moved away and are long gone from the spot you are hitting, giving once again a disadvantage to classes with small skill ranges.

Class balancing

TERA's balancing in the past few years revolves almost entirely around PvE and even then it is balanced around the so called "talent system" which is only used in korea, making classes very unbalanced in both PvP and PvE.

In PvE, some classes have quite a massive advantage, due to not being dependent on the talent system as much, to give them the damage boosts they need to perform well. Even if you know your class extremly well, you can not keep up with the other ones, unless they don't know how to properly play their class. That's why these classes often get overlooked.

When it comes to PvP balancing well... there is none whatsoever. Just non existent. Nothing. As stated in other topics already, Valkyries and Brawlers by far dominate the scene, not saying that other classes do not have certain broken elements to them. But let me elaborate on some of those elements:

Valykrie: A class with extremly high dmg and a chance to reset their double dodge, which makes them quite annoying. However the broken elements are as follows:

- Auto attack stagger: when you time it right and the enemy has not incredibly low ping, you can permanently stagger them by using only your auto attack (which of course has no cooldown)

- Dark Herald: This skill can not be blocked and pulls you to the valkyie. Basicly when you got knocked down once, they just have to wait a bit, then pull you and you will get knock down chained for sure. Also in mass PvP, you can just pull like half the enemy raid to you. If done right (with a lancers mass leash for example) all the enemies pulled are 100% dead

- Dreamslash: Obviously the most broken thing, especially in combination with Dark Herald. When glyphed right, it does 3x dmg on knocked down enemies and has a 100% chance to crit. This 1-shots every class that is not heavy armor. Also this skill is the source of the Memeslash I talked about earlier.

Brawler: In my humble opionion, the most broken class we have right now. It uses heavy armor (which makes it quite tanky), has a skill that regenerates their HP, has a skill that has no cooldown whatsoever which makes them frontal block on EVERY skill they use (meanwhile the frontal block itself is kinda broken because it partly blocks their back as well - legit), have high crit chance glyphs on their high damage skills, huge aoe attacks that hit everyone in front AND in the back of them, a double dodge with low cooldown, a bug which makes enemies not able to retaliate or use defensive skills anymore until they used a different skill, another bug that makes you unable to move when you used a marrow brooch while fighting them and last but not least (even if it is not limited only to brawlers) a racial skill, that makes them resist 50% of all knock downs. Additionaly to that they desync more than any other classes while hardlyx being affected themselves by desync, due to their massive skill range. I might have forgoten something, let me know if I did.

Reaper: A decently strong class but the only thing I consider broken about it is it's Shadow Reaping ability, that lowers the cooldown of all it's skills, including it's stuns, making them able to permanently stun you during this skills effect, meaning you can kill everyone, no matter what gear you have, since they can't even fight back. I never quite understood why this skill also affects stuns, given that for example Warrior's Deadly Gamble (I'm not saying this skil is not OP) also lowers the cooldowns on skills but does not affect stuns in order for them to not be able to permanently stun....so why should Reaper be able to do it (without combat accelerator even)?

Archer: A decently balanced class in most aspects as far as I am concerned, but their combo potential makes them be able to one combo most classes from 100 to 0% if they manage to land 1 stagger (or radiant arrow stun through block) to start the combo.

Other classes have some strong elements about them as well, but those are in my opinion the most game breaking for PvP class balancing.

Gameforge & Bluehole

Yes, that's right, I consider both the publisher and the developer to be a huge part of the problem.

Gameforge: Gameforge is mostly at fault for their very poor costumer support. We all know, that when it comes to the dungeon loot/battleground rewards, we have by far the worst income of all regions. Gameforge often claims, that they have no influence on such things, whereas we clearly know, that they just can not be bothered to actually do anything about the real issues, because they need to sell their pricy things on the TERA Shop. Back in the days you could at least argue, that it was mostly costumes that you could buy for real money (even though you could clearly sell those costumes and buy other things for them), but now we can just buy materials in the shop, even worse, some of those materials were not even introduced to the game when they came to the shop. And when we point out those issues, we get ignored and get some standart answer like "we are working on the problem", just so we can wait for another 3 years for a change that never comes.
      Exactly this happened with the so called "Combat accelerator potion", a consumable that is only available in our region, which can, unlike every other consumable, be used in battlegrounds, making an unbalanced game even more unbalanced. All threads about either completly removing the consumable or making you lose it's effect on entering a battleground have been ignored, which clearly shows us, that Gameforge takes no responsibility for the things they messed up. Why would they, as long as people still pay them?
      Furthermore, Gameforge does not even seem to know their own game, most game masters log in about once a year and even then only to host a really stupid event which rewards maybe 2 people out of the thousands participating (*thinking about the hide and seek event we had some years back*).
      While hackers, proxy users and bug abusers are permitted to do as they wish, Gameforge is busy to ban people for making an obvious joke in guild chat. Got to get your priorities straight.
      But hey, look at the bright side, at least the servers don't lag as often anymore, since most of the playerbase left the game. Better open new servers...

Bluehole: Our beloved developer is not any better I'm afraid. I don't know if Gameforge ever really forwarded our issues to Bluehole, but if they did, Bluehole never actually bothered to do anything for our playerbase. Anything that was said to be forwarded was something we never again heard a word of. But most importantly, looking back at most of the things above, there are so many issues that only Bluehole studios could actually solve. But they are busy making new costumes so you can make your Lolly look more adorable. Balance? What is that? Desync? Never heard of it! Bad optimisation? Buy a better computer!

Not to forget, that Bluehole created this new enchanting system, that so many people were looking forward to. But now it turns out, that this system is even worse than any system we ever had before. Even the system, where failing to your way to +15 would get u back to +12 seems like heaven now, that you look back. The new system got even worse. People fail at 100% success chance (yes, I dont believe in those % displayed), one new etching is like 1.5 million gold and the materials are hardly obtainable in the actual dungeons. But yes, thats a production of both Gameforge's greed and Bluehole's stupidity combined. Thanks for this great new system, where RNG is no factor enemy (sarcasm, please get it right!).

Sigh... I guess I could go on, but I am getting a bit tired from writing this article. Congratulations to anyone that actually bothered to read all this. There is just so much wrong with this game which i probably forgot to mention. If you have anything to add or some actualy productive feedback to this post, feel free to write it below, this is a forum after all. And even if the game is this stupid, I will still continue to play it. Maybe I am part of the problem for allowing Gameforge and Bluehole to do whatever they want while still staying true to their game. Thank you for reading this anyways.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Maywind ().

• I wonder how many people would accept soft auto targetting (i.e. whoever crosshair is closest to and within range of a skill) if it meant getting rid of desync (which it does). (that would mean no projectile skills without homing/locking anymore though)
    • Autostaggerlock on valk is useless compared to what the class can do from combo stagger (kd and kill you) and you can block dark herald if the mark is not on you (meaning you can completely block the actual pull if they use it as such instead of just a ranged stagger). It's also blocked by any stagger protection buff or skill.
      Endless droning with zero substance and getting half of your "facts" wrong, trying to talk about a pve you know nothing about and complaining about every strong 1v1 class except dstance warrior. Really makes me think.
    • as you said "there is so much wrong with this game" and from what I see one of them is jackpot hours for bg
      I wont say it killed que in normal times, (its the same thing back when there wasnt jackpot hours you were able to enter cs any time during the day and some times fw nad grid too even if it would take some time and the activity time is about 17:00~00:00 st), but now u cant enter any bg except in event time.

another thing is this
    • @dck
      With valkyries auto stagger lock you can kill time till you have your stun skill again, also the stagger lock is not the only problem, but having a no cd wide range stagger is extremly strong.
      Regarding the dark herald, you are right, you can just not block it when you have stacks on you, but that alone gives enough time to kd or stun the enemy with no chance to block. Stagger resistance buffs are not very common, most classes dont have them. but I agree, I might have overestimated its power in mass pvp.
      Regarding the rest of your post (for example regarding pve), pease do tell me where exactly I am wrong.
      And no, I dont even play dstance warrior myself, I said that deadly gamble is op but apart from that I can not consier them to be op. They are shit in mass pvp and quite good in small scale pvp, but that goes for all classes with block. I maybe should have mentioned block as a game factor that is op but too many classes have it anyways.
    • This game is a pile of garbage and I agree with most of it being said just to add some more things.

You personally ranked classes according to how imbalanced they are and that they suffer from desync. You forgot to mention though, that certain of those classes take advantage of desyncs and mostly hitboxes.

You talked about desync supposedly crippling those 3 classes which I agree with slayer heart thrust 100% or sometimes even kick ,but you also forgot to mention that block in this game is a pile of poop. The classes that you mentioned take advantage of it. Auto attack spam with warrior in front of block class and sometimes rising fury or combatative (don't remember which one) bypass block directly from front followed by a cheese backstab. Similarly zerks and especially elin can do same auto spam breaking block followed by a kd chain. Brawler has a skill too for that. Guess which is the only block class that doesn't do this .
      Warrior is total cheese as well. All you have to do is rising fury diagonally sideways and if you have low enough ping and with high enough att speed(which you do)you land 100% stagger. Because rising fury is so fast there is no chance to react between 1st and 2nd hit and no chance to reposition block. All you can do is take proper positioning beforehand or manage constantly your distance. Then you play solo doing cheese. Also why rain of blows is 100% stagger/kd immunity in d-stance? Isn't block and torrent enough already? And why valkyrie and warrior can make a kd chain in a stun one buffles me honestly.

And then we have retards asking for talents in EU. Just lol at this community
    • Nooblord42 wrote:

Warrior not on the list lol
      That's just the average stun lock combo for the warrior that is possible to survive with thrall of life, GS/Kaia on priests. If we're going to include every class that can lock you then where are the berserkers who KD you 24/7 until you're dead? ._.
      <3 Guide for new people - Click / tap to get redirected <3

https://bit.ly/TeraGuide
    • In cold blood slayer could one combo you the same way in 3v3, you could argue that such buff skills should not be allowed in there in the first place (which I agree with), but honestly, every class can one combo/ one shot in 3v3 solo with the right setup. This thread is not about 3v3 with equalised gear where u get one shot be being looked at. So the point is actually, that equalised gear is unbalanced and should be reworked. There are tons of threads about that already, forgot to add that to the list though.
    • ur clueless, buff shouldn't be removed, 3v3 eq gear IS how the game should be, go premade and enjoy spamming skills with 3x cd-r kaia gs and whatever tard plays lancer priest comp so u can't even kill someone. Sorcerer is just as broken as valkyrie and ur here talking about archer like topkek dude, get real it's not a duel game, and pvp balance shouldn't be made for duels. Archer is good but hard, sorcerer ? 3 iframes, warp - sleep , unblockable magma, countless CCs, void pulse (lmao here u go instant 60k no charge whatsoever).

the game is so forgiving and that's why pvp died and that's the very reason 99% of the actual pvp player base sucks and think they're good, the people trying to improve are so few (hello kyureta), the rest are either duel garbage who can't play w/o nostrum or just bad at the game and have no hope to get better.

Pve is the way to go now and it's fine as far as i'm concerned all classes can perform decently if you're good at them.
    • Glacial` wrote:

Nooblord42 wrote:

Warrior not on the list lol
      That's just the average stun lock combo for the warrior that is possible to survive with thrall of life, GS/Kaia on priests. If we're going to include every class that can lock you then where are the berserkers who KD you 24/7 until you're dead? ._.
      If you got KD you can retaliate(unless you got KD before within 10 sec or something), stun you can't do anything unless you already predetermined to use thrall of life, GS, or tenacity on other classes.

Regardless warrior backstab provides far too much pressure but still doesnt make it on the list lol
    • what I ment is not that everyone should have their own gear in there but that they should give players a better balanced equalised gear, stun reduction on earrings, higher defensive values etc. Because as it is right now they just dont provide that well enough.
      But the class balancing issue I adressed in the original post was just ment to illustrate, that basicly there is no such thing as balance right now. So stop arguing about what should or shouldnt be on that list, it is not complete anyways. As I said myself, I just personally considered those to be the most noticable.
      There are tons of threads out there about pvp balancing, please go troll somewhere else.
    • Still saying,this game was awesome at mchm era.After that they added cancer classes and cancer dungeons.Also they nerfed oldest classes and buffed new classes.Sometimes they are patching the game for these super uber hyper new classes for nerfing.Its like “ehm decrease the damage of x skill and increase the power of y skill” that means nothing.Cause x skill do 1000 damage before and now its 700.But y skill is doing 700 damage before and now its 1000.This is not a fekin nerf.This is just playing with skills and mocking with players..

I really really miss labyrinth of terror farm.Really missing mchm for farming materials and valuable item drops.

The game was more active at these days.I was queueing for fwc and it takes max 1-2 min during mornning.Now its endless waiting.Same for 3v3 too.And you could buy the item that you need for pvp from ks shop.Not talkin about materials for craft.Talkin about the item that you wear after u buy.

The last one is untradeable materials which u really need for enchanting.Seriously im gonna be racist because of bluehole.We need materials and nobody can sell it.So it pushes people to farm 7/24 for reaching best level and gear.

Anyway keep waiting for good chances.Until that i will not play for sure.And it looks like “dream”.
    • lSorel wrote:

Still saying,this game was awesome at mchm era.After that they added cancer classes and cancer dungeons.Also they nerfed oldest classes and buffed new classes.Sometimes they are patching the game for these super uber hyper new classes for nerfing.Its like “ehm decrease the damage of x skill and increase the power of y skill” that means nothing.Cause x skill do 1000 damage before and now its 700.But y skill is doing 700 damage before and now its 1000.This is not a fekin nerf.This is just playing with skills and mocking with players..

I really really miss labyrinth of terror farm.Really missing mchm for farming materials and valuable item drops.

The game was more active at these days.I was queueing for fwc and it takes max 1-2 min during mornning.Now its endless waiting.Same for 3v3 too.And you could buy the item that you need for pvp from ks shop.Not talkin about materials for craft.Talkin about the item that you wear after u buy.

The last one is untradeable materials which u really need for enchanting.Seriously im gonna be racist because of bluehole.We need materials and nobody can sell it.So it pushes people to farm 7/24 for reaching best level and gear.

Anyway keep waiting for good chances.Until that i will not play for sure.And it looks like “drea
      I share you the same opinion and thats why I created this
    • moderfister wrote:

ur clueless, buff shouldn't be removed, 3v3 eq gear IS how the game should be, go premade and enjoy spamming skills with 3x cd-r kaia gs and whatever tard plays lancer priest comp so u can't even kill someone. Sorcerer is just as broken as valkyrie and ur here talking about archer like topkek dude, get real it's not a duel game, and pvp balance shouldn't be made for duels. Archer is good but hard, sorcerer ? 3 iframes, warp - sleep , unblockable magma, countless CCs, void pulse (lmao here u go instant 60k no charge whatsoever).

the game is so forgiving and that's why pvp died and that's the very reason 99% of the actual pvp player base sucks and think they're good, the people trying to improve are so few (hello kyureta), the rest are either duel garbage who can't play w/o nostrum or just bad at the game and have no hope to get better.

Pve is the way to go now and it's fine as far as i'm concerned all classes can perform decently if you're good at them.
      Both soloq and and premade gear are pathetic.
      Unless you consider getting oneshoted by zerks IS how the game should be :lol: It may not have the broken cds or att speed that normal gear has, but still it favors attack way more than defense and you have way less hp as well.

Examples: Solo q even as lancer you are paper. 65k +20+20k from a reaper half ass combo. Seen 98k thunder strike on lancer. And slayer each hit varies from 30-40k on healer plus it can 3 shot them if low health with fury strike (too bad can't find video reference).

Normal gear (premade) on the other hand is good in terms of dmg/defense. The problem is that there are too many utility stats att speed/cds making healers tanky.

The most balanced gear atm is eq gear from fw (but then again is poop cause it allows non eq participants as well in same bg). Fw gear is like storm+0 gear without etchings so you lack a bit of cdr and att speed as well as the defensive etchings.
    • FW eq gear is not balanced versus the soloq gear, it's way too tanky (against itself). In a game with such insane support classes (healers) and the fact that every class has dodges (defensive) and some have blocks and whatnot means that one shots are more balanced than tankyness. Now of course I agree the soloq gear is a bit paper, a compromise has to be somewhere between FW eq gear and soloq eq gear, but if I had to pick between FW eq gear and soloq gear, I'd choose soloq as it's closer to the middle.

(well, assuming a scenario in which FW eq gear has stun reduction in these comparisons, otherwise obviously no chance in Hell I'd pick it ever)

Of course normal gear (unequalized) with CDR is even worse than either of these.