Warrior Tank

• Warrior

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Warrior Tank

Hey guys,

after the gear revamp, i decided to play warrior, so i could do DD and also Tank if needed.
      My questions:
      1.Does warrior good at pvp? any recommended guide?
      2. Warrior tank, how do you like to play it? Compare to other tanks like lancer or brawler?
      3. How much crit cap to tank with warrior?

Thx for your replys^^
      :elin5:
      Cheers for a better Tera-World!
      :elin1:
      -----Momo-----
    • christausend wrote:

Hey guys,

after the gear revamp, i decided to play warrior, so i could do DD and also Tank if needed.
      My questions:
      1.Does warrior good at pvp? any recommended guide?
      2. Warrior tank, how do you like to play it? Compare to other tanks like lancer or brawler?
      3. How much crit cap to tank with warrior?

Thx for your replys^^
      :elin5:
      1: Warrior is rly good in small scale PvP; don't know of any
      2: As tank is quite fun and very different from Brawler. Its more of a Lancer-style tanking but with higher dps output. You give 11.7% attackspeed to your party for the entire fight, which negates Adrenaline Rush's burst from Lancer. Warrior Tank may yet be the hardest class/position to play to perfection in Tera since you have weave your edge stacking between the bosses attacks. Its quite fun though.
      3: About 200 should be enough; I don't exactly know how much you need but d-stance gives 15% chance to crit from the front and as long as scythe crits 100% ooor 99.99% then you are good to go.
    • First and foremost, a D-Stance warrior is BY FAR the hardest class in this game, I am not joking - if you are unfamiliar with tanking, save yourself the trouble and do NOT try to play one. I would also suggest before trying to tank as a warrior to get familiar with the DPS perspective, because a lot of the stuff you learn as a warrior DPS translates well into a tank perspective.

Anyways, as for the questions.
      1. Warrior is very good in duels and in equalized 3v3, however they are pretty weak in anything larger than 3v3 and struggle to make kills unless they have a scythe stacked or are in deadly gamble. While they are certainly somewhat tanky with the right gear, even the tankiest class is squishy when attacked from a lot of angles.

They have a versatile kit with multiple KDs and stuns, a number of iframes, a block, and a pushback (the warrior leash acts like a pushback, except it pulls enemies in)

Also, while some may disagree with me, a warriors damage output outside of equalised gear (assuming you don't use consumables) is not THAT high anymore, partly due to the crit chance nerf on scythe in PvP. Most warriors nowadays rely on their backstab ONLY anyways...

2. Like I said, they are the hardest class to play and master right now. Unlike Brawlers, where you automatically block everything, and unlike lancers, where after you are at 10 Hold the line stacks, you start facetanking a lot with onslaught/shieldcounter, Warrior relies on active blocking more than any other tank now. And before any wannabe expert warrior tank here comes around and tells me there is torrent of blows and Rain of Blows etc., let me explain why.

Since the latest patch, warriors gain one point of edge and a bit of cooldown reduction for scythe whenever they successfully block an attack. A well played warrior tank stacks edge so fast that his scythe won't be up even with double CDR rolls. Blocking also restores quite a bit of mana, which warrior tanks do have serious problems with, as they have no glistening procs to help them out.

The thing is... if you learn how to block multiple hit attacks hit by hit (for example on Perimos, imagine you using ONE cross parry usage per hit of one of his multi hit attacks), you not only stack edge extremely fast while not even actively attacking, but also can keep up with your Scythe's cooldown while doing so. In fact, because of this, learning how to block multiple hit attacks properly can result in damage increase, as stacking edge indirectly translates into DPS from your scythe. Warrior tanks are EVEN MORE dependant on scythe than DPS warriors, so you will notice how fast you start to stack edge then.

You can disregard this however when your deadly gamble is up, as in deadly gamble, edge generation is so fast that it would be a waste to block just to gain edge.

3. 200 crit is not enough.

Aim for +220 crit and use a CARVING NIVEOT, then you are guaranteed to crit every scythe. Yes, a carving niveot is actually viable on warrior tanks. After some testing, me and some others could confirm that it actually hyperscales with scythe.
      Assazinchen - Warrior DPS/Tank / Cataklysma - Lancer

Warrior Awakening Guide
      Lancer Awakening Guide

"Hated by many, wanted by plenty, disliked by some, but confronted by none."
    • @Assazinchen what about scythe chains? I've heard players *should* prioritise evasive roll -> scythe chain to proc the ASpd glyphs. :o Is it true?

Personally I have some problems because of my ping (I assume) and I dodge too far so I can't reach the boss with my scythe after it.
      <3 Guide for new people - Click / tap to get redirected <3

https://bit.do/NewbieGuide
    • @Glacial` Of course you should always try to chain your scythe when possible, and a roll is not a bad option provided you use it when your Scythe is just about to come up again (or you had to roll cancel).

And yes, this might happen because of ping, I have the same problems when I have packet loss due to ISP problems, which make my normal, very low ping, skyrocket.

@Odrakis could you specify your questions?
      Assazinchen - Warrior DPS/Tank / Cataklysma - Lancer

Warrior Awakening Guide
      Lancer Awakening Guide

"Hated by many, wanted by plenty, disliked by some, but confronted by none."
    • Glacial` wrote:

@Assazinchen what about scythe chains? I've heard players *should* prioritise evasive roll -> scythe chain to proc the ASpd glyphs. :o Is it true?

Personally I have some problems because of my ping (I assume) and I dodge too far so I can't reach the boss with my scythe after it.
      i have the same trouble reaching boss with scythe after roll. you can use leaping strike into scyther after you roll. Scythe cast faster after leaping strike.
      Its a option if u have trouble with roll > scythe. Its not optimal but still better than not hitting scythe. With backroll > leaping strike > scythe you are guaranteed to hit. Well you may lose around 0,8 sec for initial cast of leaping strike but leaping strike can crit up to 400k. I think it just compensate the additional 0,8 sec.

Or u can just hardcast scythe but u will lose Ats buff uptime. I also dont know if its worth to use PB (if up) @ 9 edge (because roll > scythe dont work for you) if u really want 10 stack scythe. Maybe @Assazinchen knows a better alternative option

In my opinion: Better "overstack" edge (i.e PB) for faster chain instead of miss scythe, Or just hard cast and use roll after scythe to get Ats uptime ( you will use CS / Traversecut / chargin slash anyways so u are behin the boss again.

*before god warriors want to flame me: It just an alternative for people suffering for not hitting scythe after roll
    • Yea, the new stack/scythe cdr with each block is quite a new challenge to get in your head. I am already getting the hang out of it.

Though, I am primarily tanking via damage mitigation (I am not the only one using this technique; no need to flame), so I am only blocking when absolutely necessary. But due to the aforementioned change I try to use the multihit attacks for some extra scythes.

Tanking in general with warrior really is a challenge; no doubts. Not only the active blocking part, but also keeping the aggro and making constant damage (which generates your aggro).(If you tank as I do you also need to remember roughly the damage of each boss' particular attack). One or two missing scythe crit in a high DPS party needs your fast reaction.. like eat damage, scream a battle cry and get your next scythe out...

As for crit, well I personally run with around +210 , if the boss is not turning due to mechanics it usually still grants me 100% scythe even with eight edge. Thus, with mystic I equip almost full power i.e. +158 or +168 crit to end up with +210 or +200 depending on the boss. (Granting me an attack modifier of ca. +170k). In previous patches some boss were so low in crit resistance that even +160 worked with 100% scythe.

the aforentioned evasive -> scythe is a nice finisher which (I think) needs some good timing practice. Usually in one rotation I use reaping slash and just when the edge hit was registered I hit back and evasive to cancel the animation and immediately in mid air on scythe to hit the boss instantly. Works perfect in both stances.
      Warrior {A&D} (453), Reaper (438), Priest (431), Mystic (431), Ninja (427), Valkyrie (430), Archer (433)
    • Yeah the backroll -> scythe chain is sometimes messed up when your ping is a bit higher. If i play with my usual net i dont have those issues at all, on my phone on the other hand i sometimes miss 2-3 scythes in a row with this approach.
      If you have a higher ping or similar issues, just roll back in an angle. This should solve the problem.
    • Elins supposed to reach farther so even if you can't do roll - scythe with an elin then I don't think you can do it with any other class :x

Also angled backroll creates an unnecessary rotation to the boss, I don't really want to do that. :I
      <3 Guide for new people - Click / tap to get redirected <3

https://bit.do/NewbieGuide
    • Glacial` wrote:

Elins supposed to reach farther so even if you can't do roll - scythe with an elin then I don't think you can do it with any other class :x

Also angled backroll creates an unnecessary rotation to the boss, I don't really want to do that. :I
      The thing is if you let the roll finish then you are out of reach with your scythe but if do the scythe midway in the roll you aren't out of reach. And this is one of the points where you need fast fingers and good ping.
      Rechtsschreibfeler? Kenn ick nicht. Kann man dass Essen?

EU:
      Arlassa - Kriegermain - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Matoi.Ryuko - Kriegertwink - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Rânâ.Lînchên - Brawler - Mensch - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Lucymârvel - Mystiker - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Arlos - Lanzer - Mensch - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      verschiedene nicht Lvl 65 Chars
    • could anyone make a shortvideo or pic for this backroll-scythe?

for me, backroll-scythe only turn the boss arround, which i try to minimize it when i tank.

cheers :elin2:
      -----Momo-----
    • media.giphy.com/media/3ohjUXYphQjNRq2r3G/giphy.gif

Can' really do it shorter :) Thats what we mean with backroll-> Scythe.
      Rechtsschreibfeler? Kenn ick nicht. Kann man dass Essen?

EU:
      Arlassa - Kriegermain - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Matoi.Ryuko - Kriegertwink - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Rânâ.Lînchên - Brawler - Mensch - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Lucymârvel - Mystiker - Castanic - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      Arlos - Lanzer - Mensch - Lvl 65 - Yurian
      verschiedene nicht Lvl 65 Chars
    • @christausend
      Ok, the same just in large incl. reaping-slash-cancel (hit should have been registered I think; did it blindly since I didn't feel like editing a video). Just for illustration. It is of no matter whether the scythe was full edge or not and it was recorded on D-Stance in case someone complains about my low damage :elin8:

Warrior {A&D} (453), Reaper (438), Priest (431), Mystic (431), Ninja (427), Valkyrie (430), Archer (433)
    • +220 with Carving is just enough to make you scythe crit all the time, i would not go lower, tried it with +200 and had like 95%, so just go for +220.
      Though, i don't know how much you need without a Carving, didn't try it till now.

The main problem you face as a Warrior Tank is that your scythe is on CD even though you have 10 stacks (except in your Deadly Gamble).
      Since your block not just gives you one stack, but also reduces the CD of scythe by 0.5 seconds, you really do not want to miss a block (again except in your Deadly Gamble where you could just make your healer suffer by going full DD Warri rota since in most cases blocking would result in damage loss).

Since you cannot always predict the attack pattern the boss does, it sometimes occurs that you are only able to block like 2 times between 2 scythes, reducing your scythe CD by 1 second.
      Thus resulting oftentimes in your scythe not being ready with 10 stacks.
      In this case i would ALWAYS roll -> scythe.

Sometimes it also happens that you are being forced to reatreat from the boss to play a mechanic (f.e. double S or out-mechanic in RKEM).
      Most of these times your scythe will be ready and if you can chain your scythe from BD, PB or RoB i would suggest so without doing the roll.

Also try to aim for as much AS as you can on Warri Tank (meaning taking 2 old rings and 1 old necklace) and running with Bravery instead of Canephora (Lammbulgogi is quite nice as well), since it allows you to get more stacks between blocks and synergizes REALLY well with your Deadly Gamble rota.

As Assazinchen already said, Warrior Tank is probably the hardest class to play and starting with normal DD Warrior is a good way to get into it.
      You also get excluded from Pushruns since you are missing Lancer Buffs which boosts the DPS of your DDs way more than your superior DPS compared to a lancer, so be ready to hear "Warrior Tank is shit, i want a lancer even though i don't deal any damage anyway".
      If you are prepared for that, I would encourage you to try Warrior Tank, it is REALLY fun.
    • Indeed! it is so much fun to tank with warrior!
      The good animation from Elin makes it more fun to play with^^

Would anyone make screenshot from the glyph-build?
      I saw from EM, but i would like to know some more Options how to glyph Tank-Warrior.
      THX!
      -----Momo-----