Pinned Account Security How to Keep it Safe

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Account Security How to Keep it Safe

      Ok, i know there is plenty of thread on the forum about account security and other stuff but i felt like i need to post and let people understand how to keep account safe..

      First of all i wanna start by commenting on all the people that comment on frogster, i think you all got the wrong impression of frogster and your wrong to talk about something in rune of magic, a FP2 game which never got hacked at the time the thread was made but information got stole way before that, most probally during a server switch..

      Now back on to the topic..


      How To Keep Account Safe:


      First of all i want to say is hacker? now alot of people uses the hacker in the wrong term, Frogster server are secured by server providers, which use most probally a encryption of atleast 64-124bit which mean your account are safe from hackers only way the can get in are very small loop hole which we should know won't happen again since i believe frogster would of learnt from there mistakes, and actually have money for better secruity..!

      Now saying that why do people use the word hackers?

      Well bassically you could say you got hacked? but it wouldn't be someone like frogster fault, it 90% of hacking result in it being your own fault, how can frogster protect your mistakes? they can only give u awareness..

      Now how can you help yourself?

      Username Protection
      First of all don't use common username, such as Naruto, Pikachu ect, i don't strongly believe in bruter forcers on MMORPG as brute forcing is ment to guess a password from a program like MSN using registery.. tho MSN has step up its game.. but as i said dont use obvious username as people might try use a username, and be like this one taken :O ok +1 brute force time? use username such as; if u want naruto something like Naruto1643 not a date of birth as that is obvious aswel..

      Password Protection
      To keep your password completly safe is to change your password Weekly/Monthly don't give your password out to friends you met over the internet as that is where some people lose items on there account..

      Complex password can also help PassPhrase or just password with numbers, first of all don't use obvious passwords, such as "Password" example; Su5ge7, Suger
      password like these are fine, if you think it is to hard to remember password like this, write down on a sticky note and put it next to your computer..(Don't do this in bussiness purpose as this is a bad idea for bussiness)

      reason why i say this tho is your mum and dad ain't gonna go on to your account and if your little brother goes on it slap him over the head and say don't touch my account, or you can hide it..

      How I keep my password and account information safe?

      Bassically watch what site you go on, GOLD selling site can normally end up leaving a virus on your computer meaning they watched you put in your username and password(now that isn't frogster fault is it?)

      TeraFan sites

      can also leave you with one these virus, not all don't be like i don't want to go on a fansite, but maybe a user on a fansite writes out a guide and have it for download(Downloading something can normally come with a virus attachment) so don't go download guides, read guide are more safer.. Virus could be 1kb and sometimes new virus wont get detected by your Anti Virus..

      Make sure you use different username and password when register to terafan sites, as when someone own a site they have all your information such as username and password, if the site itself get hacked all the have to do is keep trying username and password til they find one that works "WHICH COULD BE YOURS"

      I hope i have educated you some what of how to keep your account safe, and don't go blaming frogster for if you can't keep your account safe, remember if EN MASSIVE saw them as someone not capable of keep thing safe they wouldn't hire them so they must be doing something right?

      Everyday someone is getting "hacked" because they can't keep their own information safe, update your anti-virus and hope you never get hacked.. One Love..

      "One Obvious Thing To Know"

      GameMaster/Admins will never ask you for your USERNAME or PASSWORD, reason being is because a devs have access to all information on a database, if your are stuck gms still won't ask for username/password, this sounds very obvious but i'm suprise to hear people get conned by fake GMs, i believe anyone impersonating a GM will be punished, so don't give your password to anyone without valid proof..

      If you feel like the person is the GM and your unsure and might get in trouble if you don't tell, come to the forum and post a section or ask for the forum account name to see if he is a GameMaster..

      I would also like to link you to this thread forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=10603 for additional information on account secruity.

      Additional Feed Back..

      "Make a special e-mail account and use it just for really important things, like your Tera account :P, and don't share it with no one. For anything else, use your regular account.

      Why? It's a good way to avoid all the spam with phising attemps traying to steal your account, and at the same time, your account become much harder to hack. "

      Agree here, it can still be personal tho it don't have to be secret, if you have a personal email that you don't use to sign to random website that will be fine, register to Tera(frogster, Offical game) email is 100% safe and you wont be getting thrid party message..
    • I use 3 different passwords. 1 for email, 1 for trusted sites and game loging. Last one for "untrusted" fansites and forums (Many chinese hack those fansites to get email and password. So many of the people use same password for everything) and I've never been hacked so far (and hope to not be hacked).
    • That good, i used to work in account secruity on SQL databases, so i understand how it works and people just blame frogster for 1 mistake, one little loop whole in the system i personally trust frogster and my account because the moral to what i said is people get them self hacked by using same password, it not really hacking TERA it would be hacking websites where people use the same username n password, how can frogster protect you from that?

      may aswel ask frogster to suck water from the earth like jesus you would most probally have a better chance with that..
    • Squat;277024 wrote:

      Frogster can do much more then just improve your awareness. Take the coin lock example from Rift, it pretty much makes compromising accounts pointless.


      +1... I just read about this, the idea if your account is accessed from another region a code(sent to the registered email) must be entered to access the account from the new region seems like an extremley good one.
    • Squat;277024 wrote:

      Frogster can do much more then just improve your awareness. Take the coin lock example from Rift, it pretty much makes compromising accounts pointless.


      There is loads of different ways people server can use, game isn't out yet and people are attacking frogster? other then rift who used the coin system? every year there are new secruity type things, and every year people find away round it.. because like i said if hacker get you from using same username/password n email,

      they can try and use the same password from ur game account for your email and eventually one of them will work, which leads to "I Got Hacked" if people following this little guide it will lower there chances of getting hacked and make it a myth.. careless people are they one that need a COIN system.."
    • crazzejam;277273 wrote:

      There is loads of different ways people server can use, game isn't out yet and people are attacking frogster? other then rift who used the coin system? every year there are new secruity type things, and every year people find away round it.. because like i said if hacker get you from using same username/password n email,

      they can try and use the same password from ur game account for your email and eventually one of them will work, which leads to "I Got Hacked" if people following this little guide it will lower there chances of getting hacked and make it a myth.. careless people are they one that need a COIN system.."


      Additional layers of security are never a bad thing, as i am sure you are already aware from your SQL experince, and with the correct protocol for the choice of password/username, any additonal security reduces further the probability of account hacking. So any additional security that is introduced personally I think is a great thing, coin, pseudo-random prime number generator, variable key pad pin, whatever... all good
    • crazzejam;277273 wrote:

      There is loads of different ways people server can use, game isn't out yet and people are attacking frogster? other then rift who used the coin system? every year there are new secruity type things, and every year people find away round it.. because like i said if hacker get you from using same username/password n email,

      they can try and use the same password from ur game account for your email and eventually one of them will work, which leads to "I Got Hacked" if people following this little guide it will lower there chances of getting hacked and make it a myth.. careless people are they one that need a COIN system.."


      Well, I have over 30 accounts online for all kinds of things. You can't do anything on the internet anymore without needing to make an account with password. For people with busy lives etc, it's a bit of a task to keep on changing all those details regularly. It's almost a part time job.

      I also believe that it's too easy to blame the end users for all this. Why? Because even though what the OP said is very true, the fact that it needs to be like this, is the real problem. The responsibility has shifted to the wrong place. It's easy as a company to say: customer you need to change your password every month and it needs to meet the following requirements etc but since everybody asks that now, it's a jungle to keep track of it all.

      I have had my account hacked and sure I could've changed the password more often but in the end, nobody can guarantee 100% that my account is safe, even if I do all that is mentioned. So I also feel that companies should be more customer oriented and offer support when something like this happens. Of course certain things have to be considered. Now, I am not going to bash Frogster but I do wonder why, after I asked their support the question this week, their response is that they cannot tell me if they will help "hacked" customers. That doesn't give me much confidence. Other companies will tell you if they have return policies or not..Frogster won't tell you. That seems odd.

      So yeah, the OP has put down a few very good ideas that will surely help. But I also think that from their end, game companies can be more customer oriented, because there simply are no guarantees. As you mentioned hackers get smarter all the time....

      Especially MMOs that are long term engagements for a lot of players can do with a more customer service oriented approach, rather than "we can't tell you" or "it's your own fault" so there's nothing we can do.

      So, yes, encourage people to be smarter about their passwords etc, but also let the companies take their players more seriously rather than shifting the responsibility to them. In the end they are wanting to make our money, they're not a charity ^^
    • seraphial;277369 wrote:

      Additional layers of security are never a bad thing, as i am sure you are already aware from your SQL experince, and with the correct protocol for the choice of password/username, any additonal security reduces further the probability of account hacking. So any additional security that is introduced personally I think is a great thing, coin, pseudo-random prime number generator, variable key pad pin, whatever... all good


      I personally agree with you there, not saying don't add more security option, im saying that people make new post everyday on how frogster going to protect them, i posted a way to help prevent people saying "they've been hacked" its like that oiin every MMORPG and it is hard to stop someone from saying "I've been hacked" because they gave there password to someone..

      or tried cheating by going on buy gold sites or free gold sites and other stuff, not fair on frogster to be abused for mistake down to the owner..

      tho saying that alot of people ain't computer educated and do something not clever it nice to have a cushion to keep there account safe. that all i am saying if people follow my guide i promise they won't ever say "i've been hacked"

      @Gehenna
      I fully understand what you are saying but this is more of keep your account safe, a coin has two side frogster can only help you if you help yourself.. password changing every month was an option a step you can take i've never change my password on a mmorpg monthly but i have bussiness wise as it is basic account secruity..

      you say frogster didn't answer your question properly? but how can they when they don't even have all there server? atleast there honest and told you that they cant tell you right now as they don't know how it will work you most probally ask a mod who don't even have any charge in the matter..

      Why dont you give them idea on how they can help hacked people? because i can't really think of any? E.G

      Hacked guy: lost all my item and gold can i have it back please.. people can lie and abuse this system

      maybe if there password got change at the time aswel maybe they get a conpentation of how many days they missed up to 4 days if you haven't reported it..

      but i don't understand what you mean by ("hacked" customers) and what type of help
    • Also reading your other post that you talked about, how to stop being hacked from gold seller is not to go on to there site and register ect..

      How can someone hack you? without your Username? Keylogger? from a file on your computer that u must of downloaded, there so much a company can do to keep you safe the rest of it is up to you..

      and if you cant be asked to change your account password every month isn't that your fault?

      it like saying you won't change your boxers monthly because you want your mum to do it because you pay rent, i wrote a guide and if you follow it properly you most likely never be hacked.. seems like you've been hacked alot you must be doing something wrong because alot of people can say i never been hacked before..
    • crazzejam;277273 wrote:

      There is loads of different ways people server can use, game isn't out yet and people are attacking frogster? other then rift who used the coin system? every year there are new secruity type things, and every year people find away round it.. because like i said if hacker get you from using same username/password n email,

      they can try and use the same password from ur game account for your email and eventually one of them will work, which leads to "I Got Hacked" if people following this little guide it will lower there chances of getting hacked and make it a myth.. careless people are they one that need a COIN system.."



      Every securiy made can be hacked, as long as its online. The true and only 100 per cent security comes from nointerne acess. But thats kinda not real nowadays. Guys over the overocker.net forums had a nice talk about this. Its difficult, just reading it.

      regards,

      Shadowness
    • Shadowness;278272 wrote:

      Every securiy made can be hacked, as long as its online. The true and only 100 per cent security comes from nointerne acess. But thats kinda not real nowadays. Guys over the overocker.net forums had a nice talk about this. Its difficult, just reading it.

      regards,

      Shadowness


      I understand this, and want to say that what i'm trying to get at, everything has a loop hole so not point of saying its frogster fault and can "they do the job" if you follow basic steps you can keep your account more safe, hackers are not going to look to get the hardest looking account, they're going for the easiest.. and it not really hacking what they're doing.. the just hacking website or making website and using the info from there.
    • @Crazzejam. Yeah I agree that it's always good to encourage people to be more secure about their passwords and account details. Game companies have to spend a lot of resources and time in securing their servers and games etc, and it's a constant fight for them just the same.

      In fact, I want to get away from the point where people want to point a finger. Don't point the finger at the customer and don't point the finger at the company either because they are doing a lot to prevent problems. I just want to get to the point where we say: ok, it's happened, let's not blame anyone here and just see what we can do to remedy the situation. And that's what I want to hear from game companies. It's going beyond the fault issue and just saying: we stand for customer service and this is what we can do for you as our customer.

      This is the type of customer attitude that will go beyond the norm or the minimum. And yes, it is always better to prevent than to remedy, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a remedy for the moments that the prevention fails :)