Pinned Account Security How to Keep it Safe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• @gehenna,

neither should point fingers that correct, but what isn't correct is who fault it is...

There should also be a refundable play time that all that they can offer in my opinon,

this thread was made to educate the non-educated people, somewhat like you? reason why i say you is because you dont understand the term "hacks" and "Hackers" so i will explain and i will edit my first post for people to understand better..

HACKERS
      Hacker can not hack your account without a USERNAME so if you had a username such as gehenna453521 they couldn't even brute force there way in because they would never know your username..

How do hackers, hacker your account? this is most probally dued to hacking other website such as fansite as seeing if you use same password and username.. as fansite tend to have less secruity depending..

Hacker can not just hack your account but looking at your charater name these type of hacker wait around for a long time, they most probally have you account info already from fansite, they hack a site note down all username and password and save them in a log file and pretent they where never there..

Most forum CP have a log of what IP has access the CP but if they have many moderaters or don't check this could be easily slipped passed anyways, but they got what they wanted..

Also these hacker would also try as many username and password til they find one that actually works, this could mean they have tried over 100 for just 1 that works maybe even more work, this is why i say don't use the same username and password..

Why would hacker do this? well hacker ain't stupid they know people like to use same username and password for everything because it is easier for people to remember and in the gaming industry people like there "Name" another simple technic is not to use your forum name as a username.. or forum username..

authenticators where create not for server secruity purposes but for people who make mistakes, like downloading free guides or going on to sell gold sites or free gold sites? or try use cheats for the game then end up being attached with a virus? can frogster support people who tried to cheat? yes it amazes me something like this was created because people couldn't change the username and password from there forum names or try cheat and end up getting hacked..

What your saying isn't wrong don't get me wrong secruity measure are a must even authenticator because if they have this then it reduces chances of someones mistake and people don't go pointing a finger..

but saying that even with authenticator, if the hacker go through another method instead of keylogging, as they would if authenticator was brought in, they would go for hacking site for usernames and password this is where the gamers come into it..

Anyways last thing i have to say i hope i helped you and please don't take it the wrong way we are both right :) and next part is for everyone..

Follow the guide will reduce your chance of being hacked by 95% the last 5% is on frogster to make sure your account is safe, only way hackers are getting people account details like on runeofmagic is if there was a server switch as that is where most loop whole are..

Hope no one get hacked as we all know no one want to get hacked and lose their stuff, its up to frogster and the public to keep your account safe, if you don't wanna change your password monthly then your not really helping yourself in keeping your account safe, gaming industry don't say this because they are lazy or for fun they say it to protect your account..

Enjoy.. One Love..
    • @Crazzejam. Oh don't worry. I am not arguing with you. I use the term "hacker" loosely. I know it's not the correct term, but everybody uses it.

It's a good post you made because awareness is always good. I just wanted to add to the discussion that because MMOs are long term games for a lot of people, it makes sense to help players to recover their account to a point where they can keep on playing without having to start all over. The MMO business is still growing up and a lot can be gained still. But you are right, there's a lot users can do already to help prevent it.

I personally think I know where I made the mistake (Rift trial) and your post has made me think about how I approach making accounts for game trials :)
    • all you have to really do is change your username and password from what you use on forum names this really does help as when authenticators are brought in "hackers" will try other method..

I know your not argueing just making sure you know that i am not as when i read over it sounded abit like a was if people looked at it the wrong way, everyone has a right to know how secure their account are and as i said it hard for the industry to give items back as they wouldn't know what items you have..

I.E

I got a friend in spain he don't play MMORPG but he has a PC, what i do is tell him to log into my account and change my password, go to MODs say i've been hacked, I live in england so spain is far out.. pay my friend £30 and get free items.. this is why no MMORPGs have a refund policy as they would rather lose a person then be scammed, they can maybe refund some game time and wish you stay but that about it, they can control anything beyond that..

Maybe they will refund items if you have screenshot, no one will screenshot their excate armor but as armor soul binded if it goes missing then aye, i know a few people who used these method before as they would take screenie of what armor they had to show off and then it came into their favour when they got hacked..
    • Well, there are all kinds of things that can be done. For me the best thing is to make items that are customised or soulbound (therefore untradeable) to the character and only return such items. That way you only get items back that had no trade value but might've been destroyed by the hackers. And this way you can have at least a set of gear back so you don't have to start again with a naked character :)
    • To be honest item are soulbound but if you have item in your WHAREHOUSE there aint been binded then it not out of their reach best thing they can do is make high end gold/blue armor not a high price to npc back to shop meaning someone who does hack your account don't sell all the items on your back, meaning people will have to use the trade method then the NPC method but aye ^^

there many prevention it just one person would disagree with another leaving dev at a stand-still on what to do making it their own mind up on what is best... but aye ^^
    • Dude nice thread and all but it wont change much.

People will keep visiting infected sites, they will keep downloading random crap, they will keep clicking links without checking out where they lead, they will keep falling for false e-mails and they will keep sharing their accounts with the people they "trust".

If someone is smart enough to search for a thread like this, then he is also smart enough to use different usernames and stong lower-upper case alphanumeric passwords.

If your ID is bob1992 and your password is lancer then its only a matter of time until someone randomly log on it.

Nevertheless, good thread.
      betacake.net/

A daily updated blog with MMO news.
    • hehe thanks baggs, that a nice example that i was getting at, but didn't want to be so blunt about it.. thread been sticky so it more easily accessed by people so the one that are hanging about now might get to read it more or less as an education thread as some people don't understand why.. :)

"If someone is smart enough to search for a thread like this, then he is also smart enough to use different usernames and stong lower-upper case alphanumeric passwords."

Most mmorpg disable case sensative and sites that why i didn't add that to thread but that is a very good idea for some site i uses cases to keep PW strong
    • I cant believe some ppl will fall for that

but i like this one xD

crazzejam;276190 wrote:

reason why i say this tho is your mum and dad ain't gonna go on to your account and if your little brother goes on it slap him over the head and say don't touch my account, or you can hide it..
    • lol you should of added the quote of what i said before it, about sticky note on ur computer but in some case it is true your mum or dad won't touch your account so if your gonna do a hard password and think your gonna forget put it on a sticky note n stick to your computer
    • Gehenna;281551 wrote:

Well, there are all kinds of things that can be done. For me the best thing is to make items that are customised or soulbound (therefore untradeable) to the character and only return such items. That way you only get items back that had no trade value but might've been destroyed by the hackers. And this way you can have at least a set of gear back so you don't have to start again with a naked character :)

or go further and have a separate password for withdrawing items from bank. Also i recall one game having the ability to lock the ability to add/remove items on characters unless you entered a password too.
    • Pinut;299737 wrote:

or go further and have a separate password for withdrawing items from bank. Also i recall one game having the ability to lock the ability to add/remove items on characters unless you entered a password too.

The first game that had advanced security was Runescape haha :)) such a long time ago...

Best Regards,

Shadowness
    • For sure it's a nice guide, but I miss an important point for improve any account security, and perhaps, you can considere add it to your guide:

Make a special e-mail account and use it just for really important things, like your Tera account :P, and don't share it with no one. For anything else, use your regular account.

Why? It's a good way to avoid all the spam with phising attemps traying to steal your account, and at the same time, your account become much harder to hack.

See ya!
    • Also ofc I'll state the obvious make sure you have some sort of protection on your computer, firewalls, virus scanners (update and scan regularly!) some internet browsers also have built-in features or add ons that protect you from nasty scripts trying to install the nasties on your pc